Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I´m often on a racetrack and I more and more got a pain in my wrist, afterwards.
The throttle is quite hard to go on full gas, which is exhausting after several turns.

What have I done:
  • Checking the throttle´s free movement: OK
  • Checking the bowden cable on movement and laying: OK
  • Turning the "wheel" where the cable is attached (above idle screw): Quite hard to turn
So I cleaned it up a bit and sprayed lots of lubricant in it, while turning the throttle.
Cannot feel any difference :sad

Next thing would be to check the throttle valves and clean & also lubricate them.

What else do you suggest? Did you have had a similar problem?

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,146 Posts
Have you checked the action on other similar bikes, to see if yours is significantly different? Perhaps it's just a matter of the return springs on GSX-Rs being stiffer than you'd like.

You've said that the routing of the cables looks OK, but make sure that it's what it should be based on the manual, if you haven't done so. Other than that, if the cables aren't relatively new, they might be gummed up by grime and residue from the grinding of the cables on the sheath. This is perhaps more likely if someone tried to lubricate them in the past. Replacing them might help in this case (for a while at least).

Finally, part of the equation of the resultant wrist/hand fatigue, is perhaps your grip on the throttle. If you're not holding it in a way that allows the wrist to operate it with the minimum effort, that would also translate to increased strain.

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
Lift the tank and disconnect the throttle cables. Then move the throttle and see how stiff it is. Then move the throttle body pulley by hand and see how hard it is.

Troubleshooting 101.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
Check cable routing.

Did you use proper cable lube?

Does the throttle tube turn freely within the housing?

Are you still running 1/4 turn throttle? maybe a 1/6 turn throttle tube off of an r6 will reduce the amount of wrist bend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again: The cable routing is fine. The throttle turns easy (when the bowden is released).
It´s simple to test both: Full throttle, holding the disc, where the cable is attached and turning the throttle -> with one finger!

The disc is quite hard to turn.
Yesterday I removed the tank and airbox, but I could not see what might caused it. Everything is clean and lubricated. Maybe it´s really "as is".
I think the retaining spring might be to tight.

Used spray grease, which should not gum in the future.

The throttle is not the original one, I´ll check how far it turns and think about changing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Firstly: yes, the spring on the TB-disc is quite hard to turn by hand, normal.

Had similar issues on a K6-600, turned out these bikes are very sensitive to the cable routing and only in one sweet spot would it work correctly.

Made a big difference for me if the cables were routed along the bottom as standard (where they come out of the throttle grip) or routed above. That seemed the logic thing to do but did not work in the end...
Also how they are packed against / around the electrical wiring going under the tank is tricky point.

If your setup worked previously and nothing else has changed: change the throttle cables, they most likely started fraying in the tubes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts