Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my first ride today (before my starter clutch took a crap) The bike was not running right. From my search it seems like a lean condition but I am unsure. Right now I have 38rs flatslides with 135 mains,17.5 pilots,mixture screws 1/2 turn out,needles on second clip from the bottom. I am running a timing advancer and a sidewinder exhaust. My throttle is hanging BADLY, escpeacially above 4000 rpm. If I was riding stady down the street at 4-5000 and backed off the gas and pulled the clutch at the same time the rpms would go UP before slowly coming back down. I dont think its cable related because I would physically rolled the throttle closed right before pulling the cluth in and the rms would still go UP beafore slowly coming back down. I am lost, when I started I had the screws 1/8 turn out and the needle on the middle (third) hole and it seems worse now after Ive richened it up. Could this be accel pump related? Should I lean the bike back out? I have also been told that now that I am running the sidewinder exhaust I should up my main jet. It also runs very choppy below 4000 rpm, its not smooth and sounds like its breaking up. And when its cold it runs TERRIBLE pretty much everywhere. Please give me some feedback I am starting to get VERY frustrated with the never ending problems with this thing. Chris

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also right now I am running those cheap triangle plastic filters and through my searches seems that they are junk. Should I remove them before I start pullimg the carbs back apart?

·
3,486 Posts
  • From Factory Pros' website......different carbs, but still damn good reading!
  • NOTE: A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm drops below the set idle speed, then rises up to the set idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in, to lean the idle mixture.
  • NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!
Here's the link http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ragnar, I have read their info but its not hanging up when the throttle is blipped, it does it when you are higher in the rpm range 4-5000. Based on that info I am still thinking its lean since I went with the sidewinder exhaust. I think my main is too small now which will make everything else impossible to tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.