Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here the story...

I have a 88 750
had 36mm carbs
have a single throttle cable(pull)

I bought some 38mm carbs off ebay

I go to put my new carbs on, my throttle cable was too short(by id say maybe an inch)
I go to my local parts guy, he sends me on my way with what he says is a 1990 or so throttle cable which belongs with the newer (38mm) carbs

I get home, ITS EVEN SHORTER THAN THE OLD ONE

now he says that the throttle assembly was diff on the 90+ bikes. and that I might need to swap out assemblies to newer style,

here are pics.

NEW LEFT, OLD RIGHT

OLD CARBS

NICE NEW CARBS

ANY IDEAS? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I can't remember exactly which was what, but I seem to remember that I swapped the throttle-tube when I installed 38mm CV's on my 1100K (which came with 36mm CV's) - I am still using the original (for 36mm carbs) cable. I wish I could remember which model/year the throttle-tube came from so I could point you in the right direction... but if all else fails, you should call around to local bike shops and find one that can fabricate a cable for you (we do it all the time for older bikes). Any dealer who services the early 70's bikes should be able to sort it out for ya pretty easy.

·
Panty Buncher
181 Posts
The linkage on the 2 carbs looks the same to me, or at least very similar. Did you mess up the throttle cable routing when you removed your old carbs? Check your service manual; it should show how the throttle cable should be routed. If your throttle cable is routed properly, like FastCat said, you can always have a new cable made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts