Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around about this for awhile, and posted once or twice related top this topic. No luck so I'm posting again. I did a motor swap awhile back. I have a 2001 GSX-R 750 and put a 2003 motor in my bike. The problem is the throttle bodies. I had to use the 2001 throttle bodies. The motor didn't have the TB's with it so I had to use the old ones. Well after I put the motor in I found out that they don't fit as well as they should. I looked and the TB design between the 01' and 03's are different! What all do I have to do to make the 03's fit? I was told by a few that they will mount right up without any problems? Is this true? I saw a few things are in a different location and/or only use 1 screw to attach as opposed to 2 or 3 screws (TP sensor, STP sensor, etc). I was looking for a set of 03' TB's and saw a set on Ebay. Funny thing is I looked and they're the 01' design (1 piece TB). I believe the 02-03's are a two piece design from my knowledge (L and R sides). Also will I have any problems since the 02-03 have an auto fast idle system? The 01' has a manual choke lever? I want to do this because when I try and put the air filter box on the screw at the front doesn't match up, and I had to tilt the TB's slightly to get the air box to fit properly. Bike runs and everything just irritating knowing that the TB's and air box have to fit like that. Thanks and sorry for the long thread.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
the 01-03 750 tbs are the same except for the fast idle. dimensionally they are the same. try grabbing a set for a 1000 01-02 they are exactly the same as the nonfast idle 750s.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure? When I checked they were different. If they were the same wouldn't everything fit like it should? I know the motor is in properly. Sorry, if I sound blunt and rude just didn't know how else to put it. I plan on buying a set of 03 TB's, but want to make sure everything's good before I spend the money.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does that mean I can't use the 03' TB's? Will the TPS from the 03' work on the 01' motors? If not then I guess I'm stuck with the 01 TB's. I talked to someone awhile back and they said everytime they did a motor swap they swapped in the TB's also unless they didn't need them. Hope to hear some good info.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
what are kinda performance are you looking at with 1000 TB's on a 750?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
none if your going from 00-03 750 to 01-02 1000. in 03 the 1000 is bigger, lighter, and has snappier response due to the springs. usually no gains on a stock bike its only usefull when you start doing internal work.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, when I looked the 00-01 TB's were the same (1 piece design), and also for the 02-03's (2 piece design). So the 01-02 1k TB's are the same that are on my bike now or like the 03's? Unless they're not on properly (which I believe they were) then the throttle should've fit from what your saying. The problem like I said is when the TB's are on the motor the whole way (locked in and tighented) the air box doesn't line up properly and the bolt that goes in the front won't go in (about 1/2-1" or so off). I had to tilt the TB's foward slightly to move the airbox so I could mount up the bolt.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
i always have to push down on my air box to get the front bolt in. just make sure their pushed down all the way on the tbs. you dont have 600 ones do you.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'm 100% sure that they're 750 TB's. They're the same throttle bodies that were on my bike before I swapped the motor out. I'll have to check everything out. Maybe somethings not lined up the whole way. I guess I'll recheck the TB's fitment on the motor then try and see how the airbox fits. Hopefully it'll line up right and it's just something I didn't catch the first time around when I put them on. Thanks for everything, and hopefully I won't have to post in this thread again about how they still don't fit (knock on wood). Any more info that I can use please post so I can see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.