Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question for you - if you had a K6 1000 and were about to convert it to a track bike would you spend the money, or buy a newer bike, even something like a 1199 track/race bike if you had the chance?

I've had the bike for probably around 10+ years now, was tossing up this decision of newer bike/keep the Gixxer at the end of last year and decided to keep it at the time. The K6 is a great, well balanced bike really - I had K-Tech flow control valves and piston kit installed in the forks and the difference was incredible, so much improved feel and confidence over the old Race Tech gold valves. And had the shock serviced, turns out I'd been riding with a burst shock bladder for god knows how long. Needless to say I had a lot more confidence in the rear after that and after a few track days getting used to the changes I was straight up into "A" group.

But now that I've felt the improvement from those relatively small changes, of course I want more... but the question is how much better are the newer bikes? I asked around locally and lots of keen track day riders and racers though it wasn't worth the upgrade unless going to the new 2018 GSX-R.

What about an older bike like the 1199? I have always wanted a Ducati and the wife is almost ready to let me get one. Haha. I really need to go and test ride one back to back with my bike on track but I don't think anyone would be too keen to let a stranger rip laps on their pride and joy... Has anyone ridden an 1199 on track? I hear lots of things like it's got a crazy powerband due to the oversquare engine, and the front end lacks feel? What do you guys think?

If I keep the Gixxer I'll be looking at K-Tech shock, probably eventually fork cartridges, quick change front and rear axles, spare wheels, race subframe, track bodywork etc. It's got just over 50,000km (31,000mi) on it now, I kind of want to keep it and just ride it until the engine blows so I can get it rebuilt as an over bore. But we all know what solid reliable engines these are so I don't expect it will be needing a rebuild anytime soon. (Already have Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS and an awesome dyno tune with a power curve that's goes straight to the moon completely smooth the whole way.)

I have also heard everyone who had a K6 regrets when they sold it...

What do you think? Anyone sold a K6 for a newer bike?
Can anyone comment on the 1199 as a track bike? (I know probably the wrong forum but doesn't hurt to ask haha.)

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Just my take on it, but I bought my K5 1000 new and have had it ever since. I covered it to track around 2010, and used it exclusively for that purpose for about 1.5-2 years. At that point I switched to a 600 and converted the 1000 back to street and its been like that ever since. I prefer the 1000 as a street bike because of its more torque'y engine and I prefer the 600 on track since its easier to work with for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, the 1000 was fun on track, but for the majority of folks, if you're actually riding it like a 1000 is meant to be ridden you're chewing up tires more frequently and its a more tiring experience fighting to keep the front end down and not sliding the back end out.

So my recco would be to get a 600 for the track and leave the 1000 for tooling around on the street (if that's still something that you do), or I guess if you have your heart set on something liter bike you could get a newer one that has things like wheelie/slide/traction control etc. But yeah, I've learned more on a lesser HP bike that lets you build your skill set.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers SPL. i dont think i can give up on a liter bike, not now... the thought has crossed my mind before but i’ve made peace with the fact that speed costs money. 😜 If i had my time again i would tell my young stupid self to stick with my first bike (Gixxer 600) for a lot longer and do training sooner but i’m here now and there aint no going back!

Strangely enough i would prefer to have a 600 on the street, i enjoy being able to rev them out. 1000 on the street makes it too easy to get speeding tickets. But i already have a Goldwing which is my street bike now (so i can take the wife in comfort).

Already having traction control on the Gixxer i wouldnt be looking for a newer bike juat for the electronics. It would be more for better handling, lighter wheels, better brakes, more power, faster, etc.

I think the only way to know about other bikes is to ride one and see...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello again Mugget...I see the decision is still troubling you...I know, too many bikes, still dreaming of being wealthy enough to have a bike for every type of riding occasion :D

Would you be using the 1199 purely for track?

I love the look of the Panigale and I would love to own one.

There are 6 years between the GSXR 1000 K5 (K6 being essentially the same bike) and the first gen Panigale, so from a technical stand point, the Pani will likely be more capable on track, but I would say that whether or not someone goes faster on one is likely more directly correlated to the rider's ability.

Unlike what I hear about the new Panigale V4 which 'helps out' a rider, the 1199 is a lot more raw and unstable. I actually think many riders would ride faster initially on the GSXR.

I agree with SPL that more horsepower doesn't always equate to more fun, or even faster lap times. From my own experience, I had a blast on a MotoGP track with a 72 HP SV650. Then again I'm building a track only GSXR 1000 so don't listen to me :D

I just remember the video below of Neil Hodgeson riding the 1199 fast, and the wobbles look scary, but then again he is an ex World Superbike champion (look at 6:28).

The Panigale seems to be great bike, that just needs a level of acclimatisation to, and if it was me, I would just go to a used bike dealer and take one for a spin.

Just don't take your first impressions as gospel, as I've heard time and time again that the bike is a grower and a lot of IL4 engine riders don't gel with the V2 initially.

Good luck.

Living with a Ducati Panigale S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Afro
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing