Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Write. I find that with carrying a passenger, the closer the better - not sitting upright, hands behind, etc. If their chest is on your back, they will lean with you, and as far as you do, arms around works great, but then abrupt accelleration doesn't allow those behind you to view your shirt ("If you can read this the B!%@h fell off). The only thing to keep in mind is under braking situations, often you will have a portion of their weight pressed against you (isn't inertia great), so make sure you're hands (those things grabbing the clutch and brake lever, exerting precisely monitored pressure on the clamp ons to guide you around the driver who just realized "OH, THIS IS MY TURN") aren't compromised. Obviously, in a perfect world all of our (us men at least) passengers would be stacked babes in bikinis we'd love to have hanging on to us for dear life... But occasinally a brother will need a ride. Don't be macho, ride safe, and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tend to disagree with the flush against my back routine. I usually tell the rider that either is acceptable since I want them to be as comfortable as possible becuase I can deal with either arms wrapped tightly around me or sitting up with hands on my hips. The last thing I want is a passenger freaking out and not knowing what to do... That is a spill waiting to happen

The reason I prefer them not to wrap tightly aroung me is for the guys downstairs. Whenever someone completely wraps their arms around me and sits flush on my back they forget to put their hands on the tank to brace while braking. This ends up scrunching your nuts and yielding a painful result.

When someone is sitting semi-straight up on the back and I go to brake their first instinct is to put their hands on the tank to brace themselves.

Also, it's always helpful to tell them not to lean in either direction, as you don't want them going too far or throwing their weight in the opposite direction of the turn. If they simply "look" over the shoulder you're turning towards it should be fine. One last thing before I end this is that you should have some basic communuication signals if you don't have a radio communication system in your bucket (I personally don't like them becuase I am not interested in a conversation while I am riding). I usually just tell my passenger to tap me on the chest if they need to stop for any reason. Works out well since you can't hear them yelling... no matter how hard they try. Happy riding
!!
cheers!

Actually one last thing that ticked me off the other day while riding on the beltway around DC. Please don't showoff with someone riding bitch... No need for stunts and tricks with someone on the back
Again, another spill waiting to happen

·
Registered
733 Posts
mdumpert said:

Actually one last thing that ticked me off the other day while riding on the beltway around DC. Please don't showoff with someone riding bitch... No need for stunts and tricks with someone on the back
Again, another spill waiting to happen
Funny you should mention this. I was riding lead on a main street in town along with my GF (on her TLR) the other day when we caught up with a slow-moving pair on an R6. I guess the guy had been waiting up for us by the number of times he'd been checking his mirrors. On the back was a girl with both a beautiful body and beautiful skin. I can make this statement because she was wearing a titty shirt and capris and sandals. Being CA she did have on a helmet. Her adoring beau was wearing riding boots, jeans, helmet and leatehr riding jacket.
As we pulled even in the number 1 lane, this guy proceeded to pull several stunts (in 50mph traffic) with this girl on the back. Ya know, he was pretty good at stunting - shitty judgement as to place, circumstance, and a sense of responsibility, but i would expect that from the guy who lets his GF go bare while he wears the jacket...
Anyway, I started over to say something to him as we got to a red light - but my GF pulled up to him and let both of them have both barrels about all of the above issues. I don't stunt, but I still hate assuming the burden of safety for more than myself on a bike. Maybe it's just me. I 'm not 20 anymore, I have recognized my own mortality, I guess.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey thanks for the pep talk! Noobie right over here! Well my guy seems to think that putting hands/pressure on the tank messes w/ the bike and affects how it handles. I've got the hard acceleration down just fine, but the stopping is such a stress w/o the tank!
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hands on the tank. Doesn't do anything to the bike and it will save you a lot of pain and discomfort from when the passenger uses you to stop their weight too. You will hurt your balls on the tank when they come forward into you and you will get off with a sore back, knees and arms if you are dealing with all their weight as well. Use the tank... doesn't hurt the bike.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
mdumpert said:

Hands on the tank. Doesn't do anything to the bike and it will save you a lot of pain and discomfort from when the passenger uses you to stop their weight too. You will hurt your balls on the tank when they come forward into you and you will get off with a sore back, knees and arms if you are dealing with all their weight as well. Use the tank... doesn't hurt the bike.
Though you better tell the rider to take her rings off. Wonder if wearing a cup will carrying a passenger will ever become common practice?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I always have my passengers where riding gloves. this way even if they have rings on it won't mess up my tank. also, there is less of a chance of their hands sliding off in the event of a hard brake.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey guys I know about the rings but there is one small problem w/ what y'all are saying. Commonly, when we come into turns, a series of motions that causes hard, de-stabilizing braking occurs. These situations are when I get yelled at for putting my hands on the tank. Apparently when I do that, it screws up the turn. But I have no choice, I can't relax and lean properly into the turn without any support in front of me, you know? I am totally stuck because our other friend who rides w/ his girl all the time has a grab bar on the back. The gixx has a shit little strap in the front....and I'm at a loss man.....it makes rides difficult for me, as the strength needed in one arm to stop my inertia is pretty intense. Although I noted the post about both hands, locked on the tank. Nice idea, except my guy is 5'10" and about 230lbs. All around his middle. This creates a little trouble w/ that notion.....I can't get my arms all the way around him!!! LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always had a problem with passengers so I don't do it. For me to learn the proper way, should I take someone that is already skilled on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
132 Posts
i took my 220 lb friend on the back for a ride one day, we got about a block and he was begging me to let him off to walk home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, had to throw my own two cents in here.

First of all, I've been both a passenger and a rider. In response to the last post - I think riders can be better passengers (sometimes!) I've ridden two-up (on the back) on the track and the street, and most drivers say I'm the best passenger they've had. I'm not super light, so I don't think it's that, but it does help if the passenger doesn't weigh more than the driver. I've had several track riders drag knees with me on the back.

Here's what works for me:

If you're a passenger:

1. WEAR GEAR!!!!! You may look cute in those hot pants, but the road rash really ruins the tan. It drives me insane to see a rider in gear and a passenger in none. However, gloves with those metal studs in the palms are NOT good on the tank.

2. Only ride with people who you TRUST. No matter how cute he is, or how much you want to impress him, or get your hands on his (or her) body! Being almost dumped off the back of a R1 when the a$$ole popped up the front end at 70 MPH was not cool, and taught me a big lesson. If you don't trust the rider's judgement and responsibility, don't get on. You are putting your life in his or her hands.

3. Work out a signal to tell the rider when you're uncomfortable with the way he's riding, or anything else. I usually use a pat on the thigh. That then turns into a smack if he's not listening.

4. Put both arms around the driver, but brace one hand on the tank. That way you are set up for both acceleration and braking. If you are riding with someone who is riding very aggressively (like on the track) I've found it helps to think of sinking your heels into the passenger pegs when braking, it keeps your feet from slipping off the pegs.

5. Like many people have said, in turns, look over the shoulder of the driver in the direction you're turning.

6. Don't squirm around! Every little movement you make is amplified into the bike. If your driver has short legs (like me!!!!) and is at a stoplight and you start figiting around, it's hard to keep the bike upright! The more still you can be, the easier for the driver.

7. Sit close to the driver. It makes your weight more part of them, and you're be more prepared for acceleration and braking.

I have to say that girls are usually better passengers. =) I've had guys on the back of my bike - riders - and I've had to stop after a few blocks and tell them what NOT to do, because they are making very hard for me to ride with them on the back!

RIDERS: Stunts are all well and good, but until you've been on the back for a few wheelies and stoppies, you can't appreciate that they are a lot scarier on the back! Something to think about! Also, unless you're Gary Rothwell, you're probably not good enough to be stunting with your g/f on the back. Again, it's her life in YOUR hands.

A short note - I love riding my own bike, and mostly do that. Occasionally though, it's nice to get on the back, and enjoy the ride. Plus, it's kinda sexy to be on the back with a good rider...men in leather are hot!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Traffic filtering (if you live in CA) is fun, but scares the shit out of passengers even if you have told them that it is legal, filtering on the I5 at 140mph will get you a slap
WTF is traffic filtering????? Do you mean you can go between the cars during traffic?? IS THIS LEGAL IN FLORIDA? Cause it would sure help me out. Please someone explain...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
SRT said:

Traffic filtering (if you live in CA) is fun, but scares the shit out of passengers even if you have told them that it is legal, filtering on the I5 at 140mph will get you a slap
WTF is traffic filtering????? Do you mean you can go between the cars during traffic?? IS THIS LEGAL IN FLORIDA? Cause it would sure help me out. Please someone explain...
In the US, its only legal in California

·
Registered
3 Posts
genetix said:

hmm...do you let the passenger get on the bike first, or do you get on first?
I get on and tell the passenger to let me know when they are getting on, so that I can hold the bike from falling over. Sorry most girls do not know how to load a bike. RESPONSABLITY, that is the most responsabilty that I have ever had, if somethings happens to that passanger that your ass. Now that I said that, wheelie come up easier with a passanger on the back.
Tha Chain

I can't spell, SO LEARN TO READ
Be Safe, Wear a Helmet. The skin that is exposed is the skin you will LOSE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a question- How do you handle slow turns? I took my dad (experienced motorcyclist) for a quick trip around town, but when I wanted to pull into a store parking lot and slowed down, I lost all of my confidence. I could not do a 90 degree turn so I ended up going into the other car's lane. How does counter weighting work? Is there a trick to doing a slow speed turn with a passenger? Will it straighen out if I give it more gas?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I may....

I abhor riding 2 up. The first day I pick up my new 1K the rear pegs are toast.

I would like to suggest one tip I feel is invaluable for 2 up riding that has not been mentioned so far.
On highway/freeway rides where communication with your passenger is impaired, a quick reach back with your clutch hand to apply a tap to their leg is a great way to alert them to a quick lane change, an abrupt application of throttle or brakes that you're about to make.
Often they're admiring the scenery, or have even dozed off as I have done any number of times on long freeway rides at night.
This provides them the opportunity to prepare for the maneuver. Two taps, a lane change, one for some throttle, whatever works for you.

41 - 60 of 295 Posts
About this Discussion
294 Replies
239 Participants
duc1098
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing