Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
I have had 2 people on my bike in my life. one was a friend of mine and she was around 130 lbs...WOW that made it extremely difficult to ride...she had been on bikes before but only harleys, aka she had no clue how much she changed the geometry of my GSX-R 600 lol. second time was my friends girlfriend...she wasn't more than 90 lbs and was actually worse than the heavier girl because she didn't know where i needed her. after that i vowed to keep girls off the back of my bike. i have so far and its been like 3 years. just gonna have to get like a GS750G/L or something to cruise around on. sportbikes really weren't built to ride 2 up constantly.

·
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?
39,561 Posts
I've had tons of girls on my bike. Its no big deal. As long as they don't move around while leaned its not too bad. If you talk to them beforehand and have them put there hands on the tank while braking it makes it even more enjoyable. I've even had a passenger for 600 mile+- rides.

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
My girl won't stay off my bike :lol but she's good while on it. Braces herself for braking, holds on for takeoffs, leans with me in corners. Just need to talk with your passengers, and make sure they know what NOT to do.

·
Riding at my own pace
142 Posts
I have been riding for about 10 months now, no passengers except friends in parking lots and I told them to hold on the tank and lean with me as I lean, this thread has great input and things to learn and convey to passenger before having them riding behind me for a longer period of time.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I have never felt at ease with a passenger on board.
Never liked what it did to the handling and responsiveness of the bike either.
Sure...most have done it at 1 time or another during our riding history.
For transportation, to get laid, whatever.
But...she-ite happens and I'll be damned if it happens to someone I love.
I rode with my wife out back before we were married.
When lust changed to love, so too did my outlook on having her as a passenger, especially with the ever increasing amount of bad drivers and bad roads.
I eventually gave up street riding for a myriad of reasons.
It was no longer fun and I had too much to loose with my lovely wife on board.
While I could live with my own injury, I could never live with hers, especially if I knew it could have been prevented!

·
Registered
50 Posts
What an awesome review! Great tips for new riders, or just riders who haven't yet rode with a passenger!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I very, very rarely carry a passenger nowadays, its something that I do not mind doing, it more that my wife hates being on the back, so its something that I hd fogotten about...

Last night I took a friend to the (not so) local bike night, and suddenly remember much of the stuff that I take for granted....

1) Before you take anyone on the back, make sure that they are dressed for the occasion. This is Leathers, Boots, Helmet, Gloves, sturdy Jeans at minimum.

2) Give them a pep talk. there are a few things that they need to know..

2.1 Never put your feet down, even at a stop.
2.2 Never attempt to get off, unless I am aware that you want off, especially never try to get off when we are moving.

2.3 Look THROUGH the corners.
2.4 Never fight the lean, but do not over-lean too. Keep yourself upright in relation to the bike.
2.5 NEVER fidget or move about in corners
2.6 Don't panic

I then arrange a seating position, my wife like to place one hand on the tank, and one behind her to brace against the acceleration and braking.

My friend from last night prefered the arms wrapped tight around me - both work well.

Work out an "I'm scared" signal - wife headbuts me, my friend thumps my chest

Then there comes the actual ride.

First off the extra weight screws up the performance, my rule of thumb is to take it 2-3K higher in every gear to compensate, and generally be in one gear lower than normal around town.

Braking distances are extended, and cornering ability is impaired, so generally you are going to be rider slower, leaving bigger gaps, and having a more slugish machine.

Next on the list is your attitude....

Traffic filtering (if you live in CA) is fun, but scares the shit out of passengers even if you have told them that it is legal, filtering on the I5 at 140mph will get you a slap

Remember that most people are used to car acceleration, so keep it down initially at least, because they will simply not be prepared for it.

Again Braking on a bike is vicious compared to a car, so they will not be ready for it.

Gear changes are a difficult thing when you have a passenger, clutchless will be smoother, assuming you are good at it already. Otherwise you need slower more labourious ones to cushion your passenger a little.

Finally, when you get to your destination, ask them what they liked, and did not like, and learn from the feedback.

Good luck
Very good information captain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didnt see anyone mention it, but I think its important. If your gonna bring a passernger especially a loved one, make sure their wearing appropriate gear. In my eyes its one thing if you dont want to wear protective gear, its your life. But if you bring your girlfriend in high heels and a spaghetti strap top and you go down and ruin her life I hope they throw the book at you. This is not the view of my company so dont call and complain to them. Its just my personal view.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haven't had a passenger yet as I want more experience first, however I've been a passenger more times than i can count, a brief explanation of the do's and don'ts always makes for a better ride for both of you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great Topic, i too did not think about all the parameters surrounding carrying a passenger. btw i believe the passenger should get on first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just i little thing ive told my missus about being my pillion is to tilt her hips forward it helps to stop her arse sliding backwards under acceleration. also if i do feel the need to give the throttle a twist i tap her leg once for flame on and then twice for relax :)

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Best thing to do while carrying a pillion is to give them the safest/comfortable ride you can manage ... I take having a someone's life in my hands very seriously !!!

When I have my wife on the back she knows that I'm in cruise mode ... I want her to enjoy hoping on the back , not dred or fear it ... As she is a rider also it's hard to be a passenger too.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Great Topic, i too did not think about all the parameters surrounding carrying a passenger. btw i believe the passenger should get on first.
Why? Not only are they at risk for toppling the bike over by getting on first,you also have to get on the bike and set it upright before lifting the kickstand up,doing this is much much easier if there isnt an extra body adding 100-200lbs(some people like big boned girls:lol)to the weight of your bike.

Ive seen more than one bike/rider fall over whilst doing this;both rider AND passenger now have a 400-700lb bike laying on top of them from which they have to try and maneuver out from under.

Im curious as to your reason of having the passenger get on first?

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Rider first , start bike , stand bike up straight , kick side stand up ... Then pillion hops on.

Pillion hoping on first is a great way of the bike rocking off the side stand or stand sinking into the ground (depends were parked) ... And yes I have seen that happen , def a wtf were they thinking moment !!!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
....or stand sinking into the ground (depends were parked) ... And yes I have seen that happen
Another valid and excellent point:cheers

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
I dont.

Solo cowl stays on. I still have the pillion seat(came with the bike) and I keep it, but dont know why. If Im going to ride 2 up with a girl Id rather have a cruiser.

They are lower to the ground making it easier to plant your feet to support yours and their weight when stopped. They are also torqier off the line, vs a high strung 4 cylinder. And she would probably like the vibrations of the v-twin better. :biggrin

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
261 - 280 of 295 Posts
About this Discussion
294 Replies
239 Participants
duc1098
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing