Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went out for my first 2 up ride on the weekend. This thread was invaluable. We were out for 2 hours, county roads (100KM/H), small towns, speed bumps, start/stop, big sweeping corners, and she loved it and I did too. Always swore I'd never ride with a passenger. It's going to add another dimension to my relationship, and I already have 2 bikes, 3 helmets, 6 coats, 6 pairs of gloves, I'm thinking there won't be any more "well don't you have enough gear or bikes". Her birthday is coming up and I'm going to take her and kit her out with full gear, can't wait.

Thank you to everyone who contributed their stories, tips, tricks, jokes and thoughts.

CB

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here are some things I noticed about carrying a passenger.
First off this forum/thread helped out a lot to give you a basic structure of how you should communicate to your passenger to give them a visual picture of WHAT they need to be doing at all times.
Here is what I told my passenger
"Sit perfectly still, especially when coming to a stop and when going into corners."
"You look the direction that I am looking when going into the corners, dont look over my opposite shoulder"
"Always get on and off the left side of of the bike, by tapping my left shoulder when u are getting on and off."
"Never push the bike lower in a corner using your own weight, you look ahead in the corner, where we would be 5 seconds from now."
"When I lean forward you better hold on tight"
"When we have to stop fast, keep your strongest arm pressed against the tank and your weakest arm around my waist."
"if you have an emergency, hit my chest 3 times"
"Scoot back on your seat after bumps/stops using good judgement."

I had never had a passenger for the 2 years that I have been riding, up until about 2 weeks ago and I've put about 10k miles on my bike...

My personal experience is this, "It's very simple if your passenger understands what I stated above." My first passenger had never ridden on a sportbike before but rode on harleys and stuff, and she was looking over my opposite shoulder when we got low in corners, believe it or not I didnt even notice that she was doing it until my buddy riding with us told me. She is only 100 lbs and I was able to overpower her weight easily. (I'm 150)

I also noticed that going over bumps are completly different with a passenger, it feels way more cushioned and planted to the ground, which for me gave me confidence going into corners at highway speeds incase there was road imperfections during the corner.

I do have a 600 and it didnt feel super sluggish but u could tell it was slower... the biggest thing to notice is braking... be nice to your bike and give yourself twice the amount of braking distance than u would riding solo.

Also Scoot back about a fists length away from the tank so you dont get your nuts crushed if your passenger somehow screws up and flys into your back :(

Also it makes it easier for them to grab onto you if they are short since the passenger seat is pretty far back.. at least on 06/07 models.

I now understand why people call passengers "Backpacks" because they really aren't as bad as you think.. unless u are carrying a passenger that is over 150lbs... well that will suck unless u are riding a 750 or 1000

·
Squid4Life!11!!111 :w00t
56 Posts
I'm mixed on carrying passengers. My girlfriend loves sportsbikes, and has been pillion on machines piloted by riders vastly more experienced than me, so I barely feel her perched back there.

While she follows the advice spelled out by Swbd4L to the letter, I just dislike how my bike feels. Most of this has to do with the fact that there is additional load on the suspension, which makes the bike less agile in the twisty stuff. The next is an impediment of mine, but I also don't move around as much when she's with me, so while I enter a corner at the same speed as I do on my own, it can lead to some white knuckle moments because my movements and the anticipated result are different when I have a pillion.

Admittedly, I also get the odd smack upside the head when I've settled down because I tend to wave the front at the sky. Same throttle, an extra 60kg over the rear wheel...hello wheelie :dunno

I'm thinking that something I can do is the following. I plan on getting new internals for my front shocks, and will have a look at some rear suspension options. While having the bike set up for me, I may just take my girlfriend with me, and have a second setting found that I can adjust to at home for two up riding. Or buy her her own GSXR600 :biggrin

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is an excellent post, I recently picked up a 98 gixxer 750 and I've only had it a week, I've only had my license for like 3 months! So riding the 750 is completely different the my old cbr125, my girl is constantly fighting with me because I won't take her out on my bike! I told her maybe next year when I feel a little more comfortable on my bike and my own girl is calling me a pansy, maybe I'll have her read a few things in this forum and show her a few crash videos, maybe then she will realize I'm pretty much saving her life and mine lol, great post!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have no issues with 2 up riding, and have given my wife rides on various bikes many times. She knows all the rules, she is generally a very good passenger, but one time she freaked the hell out of me.

I took her for a ride on a gentle country road about a month ago. It had been a while since she was a passenger. I ran down the rules just for good measure, and we took off. Just a nice gentle ride. There is a nice straight on this road so I opened up. All of sudden the bike starts to go into a harsh wobble at 80mph. I thought I had a flat, the back of the bike was all over the place. So I pulled over, bike was fine. Cause of the wobble..... wife was getting a wedgie, and tried to adjust her undergarments. :twitch She knows that all she has to do is tap my shoulder and I will pull over. But yeah, lapse of logic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow a lot of good info... I've had my bike for two weeks and feel good on it. i dont have a lot of experience but everyday I ride I get better. I really want to take my wife for a ride but wll wait till I get more experience. A lot of really good posts. Anybody that's a squid should read this thread before giving rides.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I see two up as a chore more than anything. If they're a good friend or I know I'm gonna get some later, then I don't mind, but I'v only suggested it twice ever.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Had a female once do this thing with my balls. She said she liked the feel of leather over my grapes. Seriously great read most people don't realize ANY of that until they try to stop or corner. I never was a fan of riding anybody. One ride years ago a Lobsterfest with Tristatesportbikes, my dear Friend Sherry volunteered my to ride her friend. We did like maybe 250 miles that day?! My back hurt for a week. Only good thing was she had amazing strong thigh muscles so she just clamped on and I stayed in the back. After maybe 50 miles we settled in and I almost forgot she was back there. Stayed in 2nd most of the day maybe third?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say that I am new to riding on the road. I always ride dirt bikes but I just got my first bike and this post made me see things a little differently. Thanks for the list of rules. I will totally be going through them with my next passenger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Absolutely a great read all in all. The information given on the thread couldn't get any better. I ride my GF all the time. Even though I take her riding all the time we still have a pep talk before heading out. Remember to keep yourselves and your passengers safe out there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I learned 2 up the hard way. Was really good about pep talking ex gf 1 and all was well on my GS500. Left that girl, and then ex gf 2 got a ride on the GS. Gave her the pep talk and off we went. Week later sold the GS, bought my 750, and the one time I forget the pep talk (we had been out 3 days earlier) she misreads my actions and dismounts while I'm in the process of backing my bike into a spot. I'm 155 pounds so my 460 pound bike takes a little muscle to get going in "reverse." Dropped it in slo mo :( no damage, just my ego.

Always pep talk the passenger! Period. Even if you've done it 100 times! Thankfully that's my only incident with 2 up riding. I've had passengers for at least 100 miles a month for the past 6 months so I have a "decent" level of experience too

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
143 Posts
another thing I have learned with my wife on the back is.... what i am comfortable doing might scare the shit out of her. Like speed for example

·
Registered
8 Posts
Riding with passenger is not riding for me :) i never get pleasure or even satisfaction. Maybe just for fun. Once i was riding with my girlfriend and she scared to shit at 60km/h. wtf , is she kiddin me ? :D
And i think passenger must know how to behave behind the driver, need to be fully synchronized.

·
I dont love OG's cack anymore
1,590 Posts
Because getting a handy while on a SS bike while cruising down the highway while obtaining said handy while exceeding the speed limit while getting a handy from Cobramadness while you have a hot chick on the bike that someday your penile instrument may stab while your girlfriend or wife or toy is holding on tightly caressing your member, is over rated.

Sent from Kevin's heart

241 - 260 of 295 Posts
About this Discussion
294 Replies
239 Participants
duc1098
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing