Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I needed some quick clarification and thinking back to the other undertail post I wasn't sure if this question was clarified or not
If it was then
me

But basically as far as the license plate mounting goes do you HAVE to drill holes for it or does it come already preset for adding the plate bracket

Mine shoud be on the way today and when it gets here just wanted to be prepared if I have to drill holes for the bracket.

Thanks
James

·
Banned
617 Posts
there are no holes for the plate bracket. there is a small recessed hole near the bottom of the undertail (near the battery box). i used this hole and a homeade bracket from stuff bought at the home depot to make my own plate bracket. my plate is now tucked way down by the shock, and its way illegal, but its there.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are no holes for the plate bracket. there is a small recessed hole near the bottom of the undertail (near the battery box). i used this hole and a homeade bracket from stuff bought at the home depot to make my own plate bracket. my plate is now tucked way down by the shock, and its way illegal, but its there.
It at least came with a bracket though right? And I would assume you have to drill the hols and mount bracket prior to installing or can it be done afterwards.

I want to put it towards the back, not quite as far as your LOL but back there a ways

Thanks for the help
James

·
Banned
617 Posts
It at least came with a bracket though right? And I would assume you have to drill the hols and mount bracket prior to installing or can it be done afterwards.

I want to put it towards the back, not quite as far as your LOL but back there a ways

Thanks for the help
James
yes it comes with brackets. id install the brackets first, and attach the plate after th eundertail is installed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The bracket is more like two peices of steel that are bent into almost an L bracket. I really did not want to drill into something that I just paid over $100 for, so I pulled the bolt out of the chain guard, slid the plate under, and bolted it down. Got pulled over with it there (not for it being there) and the cop didn't say a thing. It was even in BFE where they get a little board, and he seemed to have no problem.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the help
James
yes it comes with brackets. id install the brackets first, and attach the plate after th eundertail is installed.
Ok yeah that's what I figured.

Thanks again

·
Banned
617 Posts
GSXR750-GL :

You live in TX. What did you do with the crappy inspection sticker?
lol. that whole plate is sitting in my tool box. it hasnt been on my bike for 6 months. when inspection time rolls around, ill rig it to my license plate bracket just for the inspection and then take it right back off. i know im pushing my luck, but i didnt buy a 200 dollar undertail to have all that crap hanging of the back of my bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used the hole in the lower section. Used the stock license plate holder, a rubber grommet between the fairing and bracket, longer bolts, and yep NO drilling req'd. Don't know if it's legal but heck it looks good!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used the hole in the lower section. Used the stock license plate holder, a rubber grommet between the fairing and bracket, longer bolts, and yep NO drilling req'd. Don't know if it's legal but heck it looks good!!!

Thanks redgixxer that pic helps out tremendously I think I am going to go with the same set up you have. It's legal in Maryland so it works for me and no drilling is even better.

Thanks for the input and pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.