Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Arizona last month and only noticed a couple people taking full advantage of the open carry law there.

...Really? Do you really need your BLACKHAWK! SERPA and Glock 17 on your hip to go to Wal-Mart?

I am ALL for CCW and the right to open carry if you want to. But, openly carrying a pistol in public is the dumbest shit I have ever seen in my life.
When someone does want to commit a crime, you are at a massive disadvantage, you will be the first they aim for if they see you.

It is, IMO, for the "tough guys" the ones that put on their "big boy pants" that morning and wanted to feel really cool for a bit.

Obviously, I open carry at work. But it is my job, the weapon on my hip doesn't make me the first target, the badge and uniform do.

Please, get an IWB, and learn how to check the ego.

*If this needs to go in the political section, move it. Kinda on both lines here.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was in Arizona last month and only noticed a couple people taking full advantage of the open carry law there.

...Really? Do you really need your BLACKHAWK! SERPA and Glock 17 on your hip to go to Wal-Mart?

I am ALL for CCW and the right to open carry if you want to. But, openly carrying a pistol in public is the dumbest shit I have ever seen in my life.
When someone does want to commit a crime, you are at a massive disadvantage, you will be the first they aim for if they see you.

It is, IMO, for the "tough guys" the ones that put on their "big boy pants" that morning and wanted to feel really cool for a bit.

Obviously, I open carry at work. But it is my job, the weapon on my hip doesn't make me the first target, the badge and uniform do.

*If this needs to go in the political section, move it. Kinda on both lines here.
While I understand what you're saying and used to believe it myself I have yet to see any actual evidence of a non-LEO/Security Guard being targeted, disarmed or harmed by a criminal(unless you count LEO's violating civil rights illegally under color of law) because they were OC. There is actually a $100,000 reward for someone who can find verifiable evidence of a person OC'ing resulting in a person being harmed, targeted or disarmed by a criminal going on the opencarry.org forum.
While I don't OC myself because my IWB holster is more comfortable and there is enough FUD going around here in Iowa now that we became shall issue and our Jim Crow laws are slowly being eliminated, I have no problem with anyone doing it.

Also, there are documented cases and testimony of criminals changing their target because they saw a person open carrying.

There are members of the OC community that do it because they are tough guys, feel the need to compensate, are looking to bait LEO's to violate their rights so they can sue them for the money and are doing it simply to be in the face of those who are bothered by it, there are also those who do it entirely on the principles that if you do not exercise your rights, you will lose them.

That being said, if you think OC is stupid because "there is a first for everything" or it's your personal belief and/or preference, all the power to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just thought I'd point out.

Oh, and I think this could easily remain in the gun talk sub forum if people remain civil. Then again, this is GDC, so we will have to see.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I open carry because I haven't found an IWB holster that is comfortable, and I refuse to spend $150+ on a nice one, just to try it out. I also believe that if a "criminal" see's the gun on my hip, he will think twice. I have been playing around with the clip draw for my G22 though so I may start CC.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I do think it's strange in Arizona considering they no longer require a permit for concealed carry. I personally would keep it concealed. If you prefer OC, more power to you.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Maybe they think CC is uncomfortable(Try CC a G17). Maybe it is their only pistol and dont have one small enough to carry concealed comfortably. Maybe they have a preventive mindset instead of a reactive mindset such as yours.

Beauty of America is you have the freedom to choose OC or CC.*

*Must be over 21. Not valid in all states. Certain rules and restrictions apply.

·
Il Padre Guinnea
6,668 Posts

On your issue: I would'nt excersize the right personally but don't feel that it is wrong at all. Some people have the mindset that if a bad guy sees it that he is less likely to do something. I personally enjoy the element of suprise if I should ever need to draw down because I don't want to be the major threat taken down first in a situation someone spots my sidearm. Im also constantly scanning any area I enter out of habit and the last thing I need to worry about is constantly looking behind me incase someone felt the need to disarm me.

To your comment on carrying at Wal-Mart: I always make sure im packing at walmart. Do you see some of the people wandering that place? Gotta be prepared for the zombies. :lmao

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, walmart was only an example...I carry everywhere I go, not only for the unknown, but also department policy.

And I carry my 4" .45 XD in a cheap IWB without much of a problem. Can't be that much smaller than a G17.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have to disagree with you. When I lived in AZ I open carried quite a bit and never worried once about this. The thing about AZ, and most criminals know this, is that for every one person open carrying there's probably at least 10 more carrying concealed. A criminal out there is more than likely going to wait for someone open carrying to leave than attack them first because they don't know who else is carrying around them.
As for your comment about needing to carry their G17 to Wal-mart. Why not? Like sbombard15 said, maybe it's their only pistol. I never left my home unarmed. It wasn't because I was paranoid or trying to be a "cool tough guy" it's because I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
The thing your forgetting dev is that people come in all shapes and sizes. Thats why they make pistols in all shapes and sizes.

·
Il Padre Guinnea
6,668 Posts
The thing your forgetting dev is that people come in all shapes and sizes. Thats why they make pistols in all shapes and sizes.
Now that you say it my wife has called me a snubby before. Joking of course :shifty
Also said I spray like a 12 gauge :lmao

Just maybe we are what we carry and own. :dunno

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I'm inclined to agree that open carrying in a BLACKHAWK! SERPA holster is a dumb idea, but that's a a whole other bag of worms. :suicide

I fall in line with the doing it simply to be in the face of those who are bothered by it crowd, as well as doing it based on principle as Darkshadow put it. Honestly tho, I CC 90% of the time. I have numerous other ways to look offensive in public.:frantic

·
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley
5,094 Posts
I CC a G27 and barely notice it's there. I also know people who cc a 1911 with just as much ease. It it's uncomfortable, you're doing something wrong imo. If you want to oc, more power to you, but I will always prefer to have the element of surprise.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I CC a G27 and barely notice it's there. I also know people who cc a 1911 with just as much ease. It it's uncomfortable, you're doing something wrong imo. If you want to oc, more power to you, but I will always prefer to have the element of surprise.
Of course you barely notice your G27, its a subcompact.:banghead

And I just looked up the blackhawk serpa and I cant really find any justification for wearing that around....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I open carry because I haven't found an IWB holster that is comfortable, and I refuse to spend $150+ on a nice one, just to try it out. I also believe that if a "criminal" see's the gun on my hip, he will think twice. I have been playing around with the clip draw for my G22 though so I may start CC.
try this
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I have one for my G30. getting one for my M&P9c and had one for my G27 till is old the gun
it's under 100 bucks

also not helping you are carrying a full frame .40 :)

I used to OC a long time ago. Now I feel it's not anyone's business if I am carrying a firearm or not. unless asked by a LEO. I love my CCW permit I CC anywhere I am legal to carry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do think it's strange in Arizona considering they no longer require a permit for concealed carry. I personally would keep it concealed. If you prefer OC, more power to you.
You are correct to a point
Some things still require you to have a CCW. Plus it helps you 100% knowing when you can legally use deadly force. Just because you can now CC a gun without a permit doesn't mean you know what the fock you are doing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I Conceal Carry a full size 1911 with an IWB holster that I made myself. It's similar the the crossbreed supertuck but not as big. It's easy to make a decent holster for any gun so that shouldn't be an excuse for open carry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts