Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Hey Red and Ed bikes are looking great. Ed, I am glad you are riding your bike. I took out my Super Moto for a little blast last week. I like the colors of your side covers it be sweet if you painted the tank to match. It felt great to be out riding again. Take care, Bobby

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's my ratrod 750.
I swear, this is the Most dependable bike I've ever owned, it starts Every single time...Never had a problem with her.

Cool ride my GS brother. Trying to guess what year bike you got: 1977-1980 GS750E model. My front rotor is on the left and your's looks dual.

Since the weather isn't that great right now, I am doing some minor cleaning.

Hey Red and Ed bikes are looking great. Ed, I am glad you are riding your bike. I took out my Super Moto for a little blast last week. I like the colors of your side covers it be sweet if you painted the tank to match. It felt great to be out riding again. Take care, Bobby
Bobby, thanks for the compliment. The weather has been iffy the past week but trust me...I've been riding during freezing temps as long as the roads are dry.

As for the side covers...I think it will be easier to paint them black atm. When I do a full rebuild of my "T" is when the tank will get my attention. That will happen when I get a second bike because I don't wanna go without a rideable bike!

Thanks for dropping by fellas!

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice, the old bikes are fun. I got a new silver 83 GS750E when I graduated from college. The bike was pretty good stock once you put pads & stainless lines on.
The rubber lines were awful back than. I sold it about 6 years ago finally, I wish I hadn't. The pics aren't mine, I have to get around to scanning in some of my old pictures.
Keep looking for those pictures OF. You were living a dream I had when I was in HS and you were already outta college. I'm guessing you graduated in 1978/79; considering you did 4 years and graduated in 1983.

You're not that much older than me...and I agree you are one classy dude! Every time I see your signature, I have to chuckle and figure out how this place molded you. Nevermind, it probably better off being a mystery to me.

Ed

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Keep looking for those pictures OF. You were living a dream I had when I was in HS and you were already outta college. I'm guessing you graduated in 1978/79; considering you did 4 years and graduated in 1983.

You're not that much older than me...and I agree you are one classy dude! Every time I see your signature, I have to chuckle and figure out how this place molded you. Nevermind, it probably better off being a mystery to me.

Ed
I graduated high school in '75, got an Associates in Edumucation & took some years off working & racing, than went back & got my B.S.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I graduated high school in '75, got an Associates in Edumucation & took some years off working & racing, than went back & got my B.S.
Holy crap...you got me by a decade! :twitch

I'm sure you've taken care of yourself with good diet and exercise; no smoking and an occasional alcoholic beverage.

Thanks for responding back.

EDIT: Don't forget to look and post more pics!

Ed

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Holy crap...you got me by a decade! :twitch

I'm sure you've taken care of yourself with good diet and exercise; no smoking and an occasional alcoholic beverage.
Thanks for responding back.

EDIT: Don't forget to look and post more pics!

Ed
All that, & lots of stripper girlfriends when I was younger. It all helps! :biggrin

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
All that, & lots of stripper girlfriends when I was younger. It all helps! :biggrin
I'm guessing you're not secluded and you still have your black book of girlfriends. Plenty of nice ones to keep you young...even though you say you're playing with yourself.

Don't forget the pics...keep diggin'.

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Picked up another "T" yesterday...she is safely tucked away until I can start a teardown. I already see parts I can clean up and put on my riding "T".

Ed

·
Registered
134 Posts
I once owned this bike, right down to the S&W shocks:

The Suzuki motor corporation had been doing well with their 2 stroke development and were producing some exciting triples (GT’s) but saw that the other manufacturers were moving into 4 stroke multi’s and decided to produce their own. The GS750 was the first of these new machines in 1976 (the same year as the GS550 and GS400) and they got it right first time. Although the Suzuki was similar to the Z900 it was found that the handling was far superior, with none of the vagarities and wobbles of the bigger machines from Kawasaki.

This first model had spoked wheels and a single calliper brake up front, it produced 72hp at 8500rpm with a 5 speed gearbox with a gear indicator on the console. In 1977 the GS750DB had a second front calliper as standard, this model was the first official model year. In 1978 the GS750EC gained cast wheels but this was the only big change. In 1979 the GS750EN was the last of the 8 valve models as next year a GSX750E was produced with 16 valves, and in 1980 the GS750 was no more, at the same time as this last model, a custom bike was produced, the GS750L this also was replaced with a 16 valve model after just one year's production run.

Other variations existed in the range with a GS1000, an GS850 shaft drive used for a while by many UK police forces, a GS650 shaft drive, GS550, GS400, GS250 and even GS125. The were a few other models that were progressions of some of these models but one thing they all shared was their strength and longevity and their only real weakness being the regulator rectifiers.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

The Suzuki motor corporation had been doing well with their 2 stroke development and were producing some exciting triples (GT’s) but saw that the other manufacturers were moving into 4 stroke multi’s and decided to produce their own. The GS750 was the first of these new machines in 1976 (the same year as the GS550 and GS400) and they got it right first time. Although the Suzuki was similar to the Z900 it was found that the handling was far superior, with none of the vagarities and wobbles of the bigger machines from Kawasaki.

This first model had spoked wheels and a single calliper brake up front, it produced 72hp at 8500rpm with a 5 speed gearbox with a gear indicator on the console. In 1977 the GS750DB had a second front calliper as standard, this model was the first official model year. In 1978 the GS750EC gained cast wheels but this was the only big change. In 1979 the GS750EN was the last of the 8 valve models as next year a GSX750E was produced with 16 valves, and in 1980 the GS750 was no more, at the same time as this last model, a custom bike was produced, the GS750L this also was replaced with a 16 valve model after just one year's production run.

Other variations existed in the range with a GS1000, an GS850 shaft drive used for a while by many UK police forces, a GS650 shaft drive, GS550, GS400, GS250 and even GS125. The were a few other models that were progressions of some of these models but one thing they all shared was their strength and longevity and their only real weakness being the regulator rectifiers.
Sweet Ride!

I'm bummed right now because my Primary riding "T" just sprung a gas leak! I removed the tank and drained about 2 gallons of fuel out of her.

Darn chamber #2 or #3...it leaked right into the inlet hose and into the airbox resevior. Petcock needs replacement.

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update to my "T" fuel leak: Replaced fuel petcock & vacuum fuel valve hose.

Idles much leaner--should see an improved fuel efficiency.

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Recently did a valve adjustment and replaced the gasket as well...all it took was relocating to a new job out west in New Mexico. I had to accomplish this task twice since it wasn't idling well--it gave me a chance to practice removing the tank and valve cover.

So the magic number for clearance is .005. With a little help from BlvdSuzi, I have the correct gasket and also new side mirrors. I degreased the engine and report no majors leaks.

Next up, spending the holidays with FAM in the Inland Empire and Los Angeles. Very Happy.

I was sent the wrong gasket...but got it corrected.

Took her for a ride on a 37F day.

Ed

·
Premium Member
510 Posts

I still own this bike, 81 GS1100E with some nice mods, goes like hell and handles awesome for a huge bike. I'm in the process of painting it black with the original blue stripes.

The GS series is a wonderful line, reliable as the day is long.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
^^Dang, that's a beautiful GS! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, they are quite fast and she suits me just fine!

Ed

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
I've owned the GS700es as well as the 750.
Also owned an ultra rare GS1000s as well as the 1000e.
Had that very same aqua green 750 as well.
Throw in a couple of TM's & Rm's for good measure and you see where my roots come from.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've owned the GS700es as well as the 750.
Also owned an ultra rare GS1000s as well as the 1000e.
Had that very same aqua green 750 as well.
Throw in a couple of TM's & Rm's for good measure and you see where my roots come from.
I'm finding out for myself just how great these bikes are--better late than never.

Ed

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm working on the GEARSHIFT SEAL replacement that has led me to opening the clutch case and removing the clutch basket. I pushed the clutch shaft and disconnected the clutch paw.

I'm not riding at the moment and I have parts/manual on the way but of course Holiday mail is slowing things up.

A few pics of the internals:

Ed

Merry Christmas GDC!

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
28Dec2013

More work on the Clutch...put it back together this morning.

Ed

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
15 Participants
GSXR7ED
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing