Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, this is the Gixxer site, so I'm sure not many guys have any reason to come in this forum...it'll just take a little time I guess

·
Registered
43 Posts
This forum might come alive when the first SV 's hit the streets (or when the first tests appear in the mag 's)
Anyway I 've got a good reason to come here. I own a gixxer 750 that kills my right wrist on all day long journeys (accident long time ago).
V-twin sound, fat midrange, fully adjustable suspension (the SV1000)... Might be the one for me. Hope Suzuki has some SVS 's available for test rides, like they did with the DL1000.

Here's some tech. info I found. Only downside to me is the somewhat small fuel tank.
SV1000S :
Engine type: 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90o V-twin, 8-valve
Claimed power / torque: 115ps @ 8,500rpm / 10.4kgm @ 7,000rpm
Bore x stroke: 98.0 x 66.0mm / displacement: 996cc
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Carburetion: 52 mm SDTV fuel injection
Oil capacity (overhaul): 3.3 litres
Transmission: 6-speed, constant mesh
Primary drive ratio: 1.838 / final drive ratio: 2.352
Rake/trail: 24.5 degrees / 99mm
Front suspension: Telescopic 46mm inner tube, fully adjustable
Rear suspension: Swingarm, progressive linkage, fully adjustable
Front wheel: 3.50 x 17 inches, cast aluminium-alloy
Rear wheel: 5.5 x 17 inches, cast aluminium-alloy
Front brake: 4-piston calipers, 310mm dual discs
Rear brake: 2-piston caliper, 220mm disc
Front tyre: 120/70ZR17 / rear tyre: 180/55ZR17
Fuel tank: 17 litres
Length: 2,130mm / width: 730mm / height: 1170mm
Wheelbase: 1,435mm / ground clearance: 140mm
Seat height: 810mm
Dry weight: 189kg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own a gixxer 750 that kills my right wrist on all day long journeys (accident long time ago).
V-twin sound, fat midrange, fully adjustable suspension (the SV1000)... Might be the one for me. Hope Suzuki has some SVS 's available for test rides, like they did with the DL1000.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't get it? Why would a twin be easier on your wrists?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Originally posted by c654321c:
I don't get it? Why would a twin be easier on your wrists?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not the motor, it's the ergonomics. Gixxers are race bikes, with a head down, ass up riding position that puts a lot of weight on the wrists. The SV has a more upright riding position that doesn't strain the wrists. I wouldn't mind having an SV1000S as a second bike for a little sport touring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
jdu,

I hear what you're saying about your wrists, but I've installed Helibars and gel grips on my '01 750 and ridden 713 miles in a day.
On a track day, and fast freeway cruising, the bars are actually a bit too high, and too low for slow going in So Cal traffic. So I guess they're a good compromise. Helibars were $300 well spent.

I also installed some heavier bar ends off some other Suzuki to cut down vibration, and I use my knees and legs to hold my weight off my arms and wrists.

I also installed a Kuryankin(sp) Throttle Boss, a rubber throttle nubbin, and use it with my thumb on long freeway rides to relax my badly broken hand. I can move my fingers and relax my wrist joint while holding on the throttle with my thumb.

I'm 60, so I'm not a kid that can endure a lot of pain.

My friends are buying SV650s for track days, and are enjoying the ease of riding, and low expenses to keep their bikes in top shape. This board will soon pick up speed.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'm in love with the SV1000. I used to have an SVS and now ride a 1K. I would seriously consider getting a SVS1000.

Ya know what's interesting about Suzuki and their SV line is that the 650 and the 1000 have alot in common: same fuel tank, bodywork, small bits, etc.

[ 01-26-2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: XXjonesXX ]

·
Registered
43 Posts
socal101gix,

Thanks for the info - I 'll look around the shops here.
It's in fact a combination of 2 things : low bars and bad road surface. The fast-damping (not adjustable) on Showa sport forks is very harsh. Therefore I ordered thinner fork oil. Should be a step in the right direction. If not, then at least I have a good reason to justify an SV1000S....

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I really hope this board picks up, probably will once the new SV's come out. I want a SV1000S, trying to pay off my gixxer as fast as possible. I would love to keep the gix but I will probably need to trade it in or sell it.
I absolutely love the sound a twins with pipes. As soon as the dealer I work for gets them in I'll take pics for you guys.
Hopefully it will be mine!

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Anyone ride one of these new SV1000 things yet? I heard they are pretty nice but I looked at the local dealer & they said they have no plans to stock any.

I wanted to revive an ancient thread so I can be part of the cool gang. :punk

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
I really hope this board picks up, probably will once the new SV's come out.
Naw, ain't ever gonna' happen.
:lmao

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts

·
Banned
251 Posts
im planning on picking up an 03 and up sv650 soon. i guess i can post a review? i have never been on a vtwin so i wonder what its like

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.