Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have searched and found no clear answer. Nor did it state anywhere clearly in the NESBA manual... So...

"Can I Track with just a Permit?" "Or MUST I obtain my License?"

I'm one of those Noobs who just keep renewing their Permits every year... for the past 4 years :dunno why. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
No, at least I never did think you had to have a drivers license to run with NESBA. You just have to be at least 16 years old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
GREAT List, been Riding on the street for several years, been down once High Sided, got REAR ENDED YES! REAR ENDED by some MORON in MD but Im to blame LMAO its Cool so here I am looking into the Track Days scene, GEEKED on it pretty good! Cant wait to start doing it like several guys have said "after the Track less Street Riding" I can see that 1000% for me Im 45 got Little Kids I think it will be a AWESOME FAMILY thing to do!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I am somewhat surprised no one mentioned the need for tire warmers and perhaps a generator to power it?
thats because its not needed for trackdays. I have personally run a street tire well into the advance group with no warmers. Warmers are nice, and necessary for some tires (DOT Race tires or Slicks) to work the way they were meant to but for the average trackday user they are not a necessity. Im not saying they cant be helpful but as far as a necessity to have to get to the track thats just not the case they are more of an accessory kinda like the latest and greatest rear shock (pick you favorite brand) its nice but not needed at all.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
thats because its not needed for trackdays. I have personally run a street tire well into the advance group with no warmers. Warmers are nice, and necessary for some tires (DOT Race tires or Slicks) to work the way they were meant to but for the average trackday user they are not a necessity. Im not saying they cant be helpful but as far as a necessity to have to get to the track thats just not the case they are more of an accessory kinda like the latest and greatest rear shock (pick you favorite brand) its nice but not needed at all.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've done the same thing, made it to the advanced group on street tires. Street tires can be very good. I've run the range of tires from slicks to street tires, with and without warmers, rain and shine, on cold and hot days at the track. I had fun when I ran warmers and just as much when I didn't.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Even "race" tires do not require warmers. You simply need to take a couple of laps to warm them up.

Warmers are a luxury - definitely not a necessity.

Many riders would benefity by taking a couple of "easy" laps to start every session anyway. As your tires are warming up, you can get your brain and body warmed up also.

Tire warmers are meant to provide racers the maximum grip they need from the first corner. In racing, you cannot afford to take an "easy" lap or two. At a trackday, you can afford to do it - and probably should.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Even "race" tires do not require warmers. You simply need to take a couple of laps to warm them up.

Many riders would benefity by taking a couple of "easy" laps to start every session anyway. As your tires are warming up, you can get your brain and body warmed up also.

Tire warmers are meant to provide racers the maximum grip they need from the first corner. In racing, you cannot afford to take an "easy" lap or two. At a trackday, you can afford to do it - and probably should.
Bingo.:cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have read the first post, think I'm gonna open a factory in China instead :)

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some clubs have a no passing rule for the first lap or two in the novice group. I would expect a good race tire may actually cool down during these slow laps, especially if the first two laps are on a cold spring morning. In contrast, a street tire will heat up even under these conditions.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts

My tire guy says true race rubber requires warmers. If you go out on them cold, it's not so much of a grip issue as it is a wear issue. You have to stress the tire to warm it up, and stress on a cold tire sheds rubber. Race rubber is also more sensitive to heat cycles. So yeah, you don't really need warmers, but you'll get more life out of your tire if you do.

Some clubs have a no passing rule for the first lap or two in the novice group. I would expect a good race tire may actually cool down during these slow laps, especially if the first two laps are on a cold spring morning. In contrast, a street tire will heat up even under these conditions.
Every organizer I ride with does a standing yellow for the first two laps of the first session in every group and most do it on the second session as well. No passing under yellow.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
About this Discussion
95 Replies
70 Participants
TheGeek
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing