Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
DONT FORGET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP!!!! we all get excited, but try to get to bed REALLY early... it will help your riding... mind, and body 100% are as important if not more than the bike.......
oh and it takes hours to really be hydrated (with fluids in the body). so start drinking a good amount of water 2 days prior to the track day, until after the track day.... this also will help your riding.

·
Stabby Steve Longshanks
11,520 Posts
I want to do a track day(s) SO BAD!!
There is a lot of stuff you need to do to get your bike ready though!!
Plus I need the gear, which is so damn expensive, but I DO need better gear anyway.
One of these days I am going to get it together, and that will probably be one of the most exciting days of my life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What if your not that serious about timing yourself and racing...what if I just want to get out and push my bike a little in a safe enviroment? I want to get on a track and just have some fun with curves and being able to open it up? Is it still necessary to tape and remove things and all that other stuff? Wouldnt it be ok to just get some good safety gear and head to the track?

·
Track Pimp......who hates njracer and his love for
9,672 Posts
What if your not that serious about timing yourself and racing...what if I just want to get out and push my bike a little in a safe enviroment? I want to get on a track and just have some fun with curves and being able to open it up? Is it still necessary to tape and remove things and all that other stuff? Wouldnt it be ok to just get some good safety gear and head to the track?
well you really need a full leather and you need to tape your head light ,break light,turn signals and remove your mirrors and most importantly you need to flush your radiator to simple fact if you go down you will give track org a very hard time to clean it cause radiator fluid is very slippery and very hard to clean it.

So if you want to ride slow and just hit the turns yes you can its call level 1 or group c or what ever the track org names the beginner group any more questins please visit the trackday section of the group i will be there mostly.

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hoping to find some tire experts here... I did a track day almost exactly a year ago and bought brand new dunlop D208's front and rear for that day. Kept them on all year, only put 1500 light street miles on them (the bike virtually stays in the garage), and now I want to go back to the track.
A buddy of mine used to race GP250 (before the class was eliminated altogether) and said I shouldn't even think about running year-old tires. Just wondering if this is true for my DOT 208's or if that is something more problematic with race-specific slicks (with quicker heating times, different oils etc.)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I've just run through a new but unused, 7 year old Racetek (by Metzler) rear tire, soft compound. It worked just fine at a pretty good pace. Maybe not quite as sticky as if it were made last year, but hardly bad enough to put you on your ass. It felt just about like any other fresh new tire that I've run.

If you are running a used tire that has seen a lot of heat cycles, and is 7 years old, that would probably be much worse than running a new tire that just sat around for 7 years. Those are race compound tires.

Slicks and DOT race tires don't necessarily even have different compounds. Street oriented tires probably age even better than track tires.

But if a tire is new, and was not improperly stored, and you are not in the front of the experts, I would not worry about it.

Regarding your one year old tires, those will work just fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi, can anyone tell me if i go to a track day would i need proof that the bike is mines or legal. Such as the title ?
No need for proof of ownership,its not the DMV or Highway patrol :lmao

Is the bike yours?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hate to bring up an old post, BUT...I'm moving to Shreveport from the UK and still want to be able to do track days. Anyone know where the closest tracks are to North West Louisiana? How about a good TDO that operates in that area?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks for this info, very helpful!

·
Captain Glitterface, the Jacked up thumb Super Meg
9,762 Posts
Hate to bring up an old post, BUT...I'm moving to Shreveport from the UK and still want to be able to do track days. Anyone know where the closest tracks are to North West Louisiana? How about a good TDO that operates in that area?

Thanks!!!
Close tracks are Tally GP, Barber, Nashville and starting this fall there will be New Orleans Motorsports Park. Others that I would call within reasonable distance are Jennings GP, Road Atlanta and Carolina Motorsports Park.

As for organizations, the first three that come to mind are Track Tactics, Sportbike Track Time and Absolute.

·
Registered
167 Posts
damn thats alot of shit i guess i wont be doing track no time soon. Plus i would get a seperate bike for track
Not all trackday orgs require the same stuff, so look around a bit.

Ours is geared a little more toward training and therefore we have milder requirements.

Assuming your bike is in excellent mechanical condition, you can prep it in under 5 minutes.

The best advice I would give you is to find local trackday orgs that run near you, and look at their websites for the tech requirements.

If you're not quite ready to sign up, just show up at an event and watch. I bet you'll be pissed you didn't sign up though! :biggrin

61 - 80 of 96 Posts