Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about a track day at Castle Combe, but I'm a bit concerned about taking my shiny new L4 on the track.

I found a place that hires out CBR600's track prepared for the day for £245, including fuel, insurance, tyres, drinks and seating. This sounds like quite a good deal, and perhaps a better choice for a first track day than a litre bike.

What do you all think?

I need to get some race leathers as well, was wondering about a cheap 1-piece suit (e.g. RST) which are up around £270, hopefully it can be used on the street in the summer as well.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I'm assuming this will be your first track day. A 600 is great for the track along with 250s, 300s, 500s, and 650s. The 1k might be a lot to handle on the track, but then again, on your first track day you should be focusing on the basics such as the race line and body positioning, not testing your limits. If you go in with the right mindset you'll come out a better rider with a flawless bike. If you go in trying to push your limits, you're asking for an accident.

I didn't mind taking my L5 on the track, but others brought up a good point. If you're not willing to throw it away, don't take it out there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming this will be your first track day. A 600 is great for the track along with 250s, 300s, 500s, and 650s. The 1k might be a lot to handle on the track, but then again, on your first track day you should be focusing on the basics such as the race line and body positioning, not testing your limits. If you go in with the right mindset you'll come out a better rider with a flawless bike. If you go in trying to push your limits, you're asking for an accident.

I didn't mind taking my L5 on the track, but others brought up a good point. If you're not willing to throw it away, don't take it out there.
Yes, this would be my first track day. I'm not really looking to race or push the limit, just gain a bit of track confidence and have some fun.

I don't really want to risk crashing a two year old bike, the rental bikes come with insurance:)

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
If you have the funds, I'd take a rental.

The RST is a pretty good deal right now through rider's discount. Do you know what size you wear? If not, I'd suggest going to a shop and trying some on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same position. Mates want to do a track day at Castle Combe. I just booked myself on the premier course at the Ron Haslam race school at Donnington. It's £250 if you go on the 29th June as they have an offer on for that day. It's usually £300. They give you the bike, leathers and tuition. I figure once I've done that I'll be more confident throwing my own bike round a track with my mates.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the same position. Mates want to do a track day at Castle Combe. I just booked myself on the premier course at the Ron Haslam race school at Donnington. It's £250 if you go on the 29th June as they have an offer on for that day. It's usually £300. They give you the bike, leathers and tuition. I figure once I've done that I'll be more confident throwing my own bike round a track with my mates.
Sounds like a good deal, it's 2 hours drive away but that's a good deal cheaper than a rental bike for the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts