Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the deal...Ive been itching to get a dirtbike lately. A couple buddies of mine go riding, and Id kind of like to see about getting into the hobby with them. Ive ALWAYS been into dirtbikes growing up, and always wanted one, but I never got one. Most of my experience is on quads and trikes. I have VERY little experience on dirtbikes, and dont know that much.

All that being said, I don't have the cash to go out and drop on a bike right now. I did however find a 2000 Suzuki RM125 on craigslist for $1000.00, and the guy is interested in perhaps trading it for my AR-15. I love my AR-15. I would have no interest at all in getting rid of it, but I see it as a possible way to get me on a dirtbike, even if its just a "beginner bike" (which I am a beginner, so that would be fine). I just don't get out and shoot my rifle enough to enjoy it. Like I said, Im in love with it, but I feel I would get much more use and enjoyment out of a bike right now. Its a tough decision, and I need help making it.

The rifle is a Stag Arms lower with a 6 position adjustable stock, mated to a Bushmaster 16" flat top upper with an M4 stepped barrel. With it, I have the following:

-Midwest Industries picattiny hand guards
-TangoDown vertical foregrip
-PentagonLight MD-2 light/laser
-Removal carry handle
-A.R.M.S. back up iron sight
-Front side sling adapter for 3 point or 2 point sling
-Single point sling adapter in the back (cant for the life of me remember the brand)
-Tapco rail covers
-8 US GI issued 30 round magazines
-UTG soft case

If all the extras were purchased brand new, we're talking at least $900+ in extras alone. I know the guy would be getting the better end of the deal...its just about whether or not Id be happy with the decision, and I also don't want to trade for a total piece of shit that will need work in a month.

The bike is a 2000 RM125 like stated. According to the owner, he has a clean and clear title (still in the previous owners name...dont understand this?). He said the plastics are all new, it has aftermarket exhaust, an extra sprocket, tires are in good shape, and it runs strong. He can't tell me much about maintenance because hes only had it for 4-5 months. He said the forks don't leak, but the petcock is starting to leak due to sitting. I priced a new one, and theyre about $20.00. Not a huge deal. Hes throwing in some boots and a helmet with the bike.

I dont have any decent pictures of it right now. Hes supposed to be sending me a bunch and based on what I see ill decide if I want to go look at it in person. Should i decide to go look at it, Id like to do a compression test. How do you do a compression test on a dirtbike? I have a compression tester for a car, but I assume the threaded end is too big for a 2 stroke dirtbike. Whats normal compression for a 2 stroke 125? What else should I look at, and what should I check out and what would be an indicator I should stay away from this deal? Im usually one to jump into bad deals and get taken for a ride because Im impatient and want everything now, but Id really like to avoid that this time and save getting rid of my rifle if it really is a piss poor deal, so any help is appreciated.

By the way...I know a 125 2 stroke will be too small for me, and it has shitty low end, and blah blah blah. Ive already considered those facts, and am weighing them heavily in my decision. I was honestly looking for a 250, but this is what I could find with an owner interested in a trade. I am a beginner, and don't honestly plan on racing this thing. Its just to cruise around on for fun, maybe hit some small jumps with, and take out into the desert. As long as my fat ass doesnt bottom the suspension out every time I sit on it, and its full size (which it is) and it has enough power to move me at a decent pace, Im fine with it. :dunno

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Fuck no. Your getting ripped off. If you did a trade it should at least be a bike that is a little above your skill level so you wont get sick of it in a day. Also it looks like you did that build yourself, I know how attached I am to firearms I build. The guy sounds sketchy also.

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Rule # 1 of gun ownership... Never trade or sell a gun, just add to the collection :wink:

But seriously, I would just shop for a used 2 stroke and keep the rifle.

Oh yeah, 125's can be a blast, but you have to keep the rev's happy and the shifting tight. In other words, you really need to know how to feather a clutch and ride it. A 250 will be a lot more forgiving and allow you to be sloppy. It also depends on the type of riding you are doing as well.

$.02

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
yeh mate 125's to small , 250 at least .... just cool your heals and save for a while , you'l get there in no time !!!!!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
10 year old 2-smoker with a sketchy maintenance history? Fuck no, you're likely buying someone else's headache. Spend some more and get something newer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I think I'm going to stay away from that deal. Thanks for talking me out of it and making a potential mistake. I'm still reluctant to do so and not sure I should, but if I was going to list my rifle with evérything mentioned above included to get some money to throw down on a newer 250, what would be a fair price to ask?

·
Registered
692 Posts
The whole idea of handing over a gun to a stranger and then taking something of his in return sounds sketchy. He can just shoot you and take both things. :dunno

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
The whole idea of handing over a gun to a stranger and then taking something of his in return sounds sketchy. He can just shoot you and take both things. :dunno
And you'd probably deserve to be shot if you were dumb enough to hand over a loaded gun to a stranger :suicide

But trading the gun to begin with isn't a good idea in the first place. Even assuming the guy with the dirtbike is on the up-and-up there are so many other things that could potentially go wrong here.

One scenario is if the deal goes through but the former dirtbike owner has the gun stolen from him later and it's then used in a violent crime. If it's then traced to the OP what is his protection from being linked to the crime since he won't have a nice neat paper trail proving the gun was no longer his?

For that reason I agree for the most part with the sentiment of never trading or selling a gun. If you really want to sell a gun, consign it to a licensed dealer and save yourself the potential headaches.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nothing is wrong with a 125cc 2-smoke. It can hand you your ass if you don't watch it.
If you are just going to fart around no point to get a 2-smoke. they do not like farting around. they like to have the crap rev'd out of them.( where all there power is). not staying in the power band can lead to fowled plugs and other crap. plus it's a 10 year old 2-smoke and who knows what has or hasn't been done to it.

Keep the gun and save and buy a 250cc 4-stroke or a 450cc they are getting very cheap right now.

·
Fresher than 1000 virgins
968 Posts
Agreed. Look into a 250., unless you are a very small guy. Reason I say this, I am 5'10" and weigh 173lbs. The 250 fit me fine. Was a little big new, but after adjustment in the sag, I was able to flat foot it. As for a 125, you'll see in time that it is too small. Also, why a 2-stroke? More newer bikes are coming out 4 stroke as opposed to 2. 4 stroke are easier to maintain, period. Unless, you have a butt load of money, I would think this transaction thru a little bit more. Like someone said above, the guy seems a bit shady, it could be a stolen bike, and you don't want that. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you don't have the $1000 for the used 125, then you don't have the $$ for the helmet, gear and other shit a guy needs to ride. Save your money.

And Never, Ever, sell a gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
DeviousDave
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing