Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A bit of history; I tend to get bored with bikes (any bike) after about a year, and it's reaching that time. I've owned an '08 CBR1000RR for almost a year, and although I love the bike (it's incredible), I'm looking around for my text in line. (I've been riding for over 25 years)

The problem is, I like so many different bikes, but right now with a teenager, wife out of work a while, can only afford one, so I keep trading, lol.

I'm really considering trading down to a GSX-R750, K8 or K9, and was hoping to get some opinions from guys who may have owned both the 750, and a liter bike.

I've owned two GSX-R1000's (K4 and K6), and a bunch of 600's, but never the 750. For some reason though, I've always longed for one, I can't stop thinking about it. I keep coming back to it in my mind like a high-school love I can't forget.

One side of me says "WTF you thinking boy, trading for LESS power?", but another side of me realizes that on the street anyway, a liter bike has so much power, it's a very rare day you even use it anyway. Still though, the motor-head side of me really has a hard time trading for less power, it's just a difficult thing to get past.

So, I'd love opinions; would be awesome if anyone with a 750 has ridden an '08+ CBR1000RR to compare, I'd love to hear that, given that the CBR weighs about the same as the 750.

I've never ridden a 750, I have no idea what to expect. I do know I LOVED my K6 GSX-R1000 big time.

Danke!

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I had a couple bikes between my K6 Gixxer 1k, and my '08 CBR1k so hard to directly compare.

I do remember loving my K6, and regretted getting rid of it. So much so, I almost bought it back when it went up for sale by the guy who bought it from me.

The one thing I remembered about my k6 was how much smaller, and nicer it felt to ride than my k4. The k4 was ALL engine; off-idle fueling was so bad it was kinda scary to ride around in 1st gear. If you even twitched a hair, it would jerk your arm out of the socket off idle.

I remember the k6 feeling almost like a 600 in size, with unreal power, and much better fueling characteristics than the k4. I loved the K6, truly did. It was what made me love Suzuki's, I was a Honda man before that.

The CBR 1k, well it takes that even farther. It truly IS 600 sized in both physical size, and weight. It weighs less than some 600's in fact, at 439 lbs wet. I replaced the heavy exhaust, so mine's probably like 432.

It turns quick, yet is stable as a rock with the HESD electronic steering damper. I've never had a single unstable moment on it since I've had it. It has incredible midrange, just stomping midrange. The 5-9k pull is just incredible (and of course above that it's a f'n rocket, like all liter bikes.)

My K6 had incredible midrange too, but I think this thing beats even that.

On the top end? Who knows. Both are so fast my vision blurs after like 3 seconds at WOT, so I really couldn't say. I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean. All these liter bikes are so f'n fast, comparing them is like splitting hairs IMO, and without a stopwatch, you can't feel much difference. It's like comparing what a stick of dynamite going off in your hand, to 1.1 sticks of dynamite. Yes, 1.1 is more, but 1 blows your hand off, so what's the point?

The CBR's brakes are noticeably better; monblock tokico's stop like an anchor. The CBR has a LOT better slipper clutch than my k6 had.

I think the K6 shifted a little better, but not 100% sure. I wish I could have ridden back to back, but between the two I owned an '08 CBR600RR, V-Max, and a Yamaha FZ-1.

Although my Honda's looks have grown on me, I still think the Gixxer's are the best looking bikes around.

I regretted getting rid of my liter bike last time, but that was going down to a 600.

·
Registered
554 Posts
They're two totally different bikes. I've ridden the CBR and owned the 750. The CBR can do everything the gixxer750 can do and can do it faster, providing that you are a competent rider. I think you would be making a mistake on switching to the 750. It’s not that the 750 isn’t as good, it’s just that the CBR is that great. It’s good for track or commuting. You’ll miss the 6th gear roll-ons of the CBR for sure.

Have you noticed any oil burning from your CBR?

·
Don't Mind Me - Just Snoopin' Around
10,426 Posts
The biggest difference would be the comfort. The Gixxer 750 is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden and I've ridden a good amount ( CBR600, CBR929RR, Busa, Gixxer 1K ).

There is a loss of power but on the street if you don't go nuts, you won't miss it too much. If you're riding like a squid, then you may miss it. :p

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
750 is the way to go :thumbup

I never understand people that buy 1000 for the street. In my opinion a 1000 or above is a drag bike. I love the reactions i get when my 600 passes one in a corner :lol

·
Premium Member
10,466 Posts
get bored with a bike? :shifty wish I could redline every gear at all times - run insanely fast lap times and do wicked cool stunts - then I'd get bored.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the opinions, all are good. I wouldn't say I'm "bored" with it, lol. Like you said, one wack of the throttle and any boredom is banished, but I just like changing things every now and then. All these bikes are so fast anyway.

I do feel in many ways a 1k is better on the street, simply because of the massive midrange. Like someone said, 6th gear roll ons? I'm -1 in front, so the already massive midrange is even more great. 6th gear on this thing feels like my 600 did in 3rd. This thing leaps forward, even in 6th, quite amazing.

The problem is however, there's something satisfying about running a bike up to redline through several gears, snicking off some perfect shifts and hearing that sweet exhaust. It's hard to do that on a 1k at all on the street. Hell 1st gear puts you near 100, and the speed is just unreal; it's more a "WTF!!" experience than having time to feel it happening and enjoying it, lol.

That's one thing I did like about the 600, ringing it out all the time and actually having a few seconds to enjoy the sensation. A freaking 1k is just so blinding fast, you barely have time to smell the roses, and you're doing 150+.

No oil burning on mine; I run Rotella T6.

Maybe I'll keep it, throw on some cool graphics or new fairing set, maybe some cool rotors and brake lines. Hell I don't know, I just want something new, dangit. Already got most of the typical bolt on mods, so not much to do there, and I can't afford something super cool like wheels right now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have an 08 BLADE and have just had it for a little over two years ( 27,000 km ). I had a 2006 gsxr1000 before that for nearly 3 years ( 34,000 k ). AND YES I'm considering a 2011 GSXR750 when they come out. Bored is a good answer, but I suppose I'd like a bike I can use more of its power on the road and after doing a track day, I'd like to get a bike that I can also use more of its potential on the track.
I have ridden at 2010 750, but the road was a little damp and I didn't get chance to give it a good ride. It was a little over geared, so I imagine 1 tooth less on the front would help in that regard plus a mandatory pipe and tune.
Don't get me wrong, the blade is more bike than I could ever handle, but I think from most peoples reviews the 750 is the best of both worlds.
We'll see what 2011 holds for both the 750 and the ZX10. Although the renditions of the new zx don't look that flash

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tails k6 for your input. Good to see someone with very similar bikes to me over the past few years, who can relate to what I mean.

I did an experiment tonight; referenced some dyno graphs, and determined my bike hits 130rwhp in the 8500-9000 RPM range (about what I figure a 750 would put down with a pipe and PC.)

I went riding, and made quite a few blasts shifting around 9k, to at least give me an idea how fast the 750 would be. Result? DAMN fast. Just brought it home to me how fast all these bikes are yet again. So even though I can get a feel for that power, shifting at 9k doesn't give you quite the visceral feeling of shifting at redline, winding it out, if that makes sense. You are majorly shifting on the rising part of the curve, so it feels very obvious you are short shifting. That said, a 1k shifted at 9k will waste just about anything, so it's all relative.

Since I ride on the street, and have long since passed the "I'm indestructible" phase, it's not very often I take the 1k above that. Yeah, I make redline blasts occasionally, but unless you have a death wish for yourself and possibly bystanders, you can't do that on the street very often.

So, 750 power is "holy shit, this is fast...", but I also noticed, above 9k, the bike is HOLY MF, WTF!" fast, lol. I don't get there that often in day to day driving, it's just not needed, but knowing it's there is nice, if that makes sense?

So reality tells me the 750 is plenty, if not more than enough, but my testosterone tells me I need the 1000, haha. Nice...living in the land of too much is just right, sigh.

I still want a 750. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep spot on. I saw a GSXR600 white and blue and shit it looked great. Made me appreciate how much I miss my K6.
hOPEFULLY it looks like this next year

Attachments

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice. I sat on a few K8/K9 750's this week, and to be honest, it feels pretty much EXACTLY like my CBR; same feel, exact same size. So, with that reality in mind, I'd basically have a bike that felt the same, but down ~30hp. No real point in that, so I think I'm nixing the idea.

I might trade for something crazy to be different, like a B-King.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well for me its just a desire to change bikes and have a bike I can use more of on the track and the road. We will see what Suzuki bring out. If its not advanced enough sufficiently to justify the change over, then I might be looking at 2010 model or just keep the blade

·
Registered
78 Posts
To be honest, it sounds like you need to save some $$ (trust me, you'll thank me for that) and go to at least 10 trackdays... after that, get a 600 track bike and go racing.

All of your worries will disappear.

If that's not an option, invest on your suspension. The Blade is good bike even in stock form but it nowhere near perfect... get a susp guru to sort it out for you with some aftermarket goodies and you'll feel like you just got a new bike.
Worse case scenario, there's always the S1000RR...

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the opinion; For many folks it's a good one. I've been riding bikes for literally 35 years, so this really isn't an experience issue, or any issues with disliking my bike in any way.

I'm not looking to be faster at the track, or even faster on the street. I'm way past proving or caring if I'm faster than the next guy.

It's not even about wanting a BETTER bike, better suspension, faster bike, whatever. It's about wanting a new bike experience, that's all. I like trying new stuff about once a year, and my year's up.

I've owned a handful of 600's, several 1000's, a v-max, FZ1, quite a few other bikes I can't remember. I don't think a better all-around sport bike exists than the one I own, so it's not about something better, just different. I was thinking about a 750 because it's different than anything I've owned.

Leaning toward a B-King right now, as it's a way different experience, and I think the new V-Max's are way overpriced. I enjoyed my FZ1, a naked bike, but it was a bit gutless except on the big-end; something I wouldn't have to worry about with the King and it's 'Busa engine.

I might like it, I might not; if not I'll just trade it for something, maybe a GSX-R750, lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think your missing the point. I never said there was anything wrong with the blade. Its a much better bike than I'll ever be able to master.
What I am saying is I miss my k6. Everytime I see a GSXR on the street I look at it a lot more than if I see a blade.
Buying bikes these days has a lot to do with what pleases the eye, and at present the GSXR does that better then my blade.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
750Squidiot
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing