Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle Helmet Repeal -- NC

On May 18 North Carolina legislators filed H.B. 1517, which would repeal the motorcycle helmet law for riders age 18 and older. The bill has been referred to the House Committee on Rules, Calendar, and Operations for consideration.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
florida had no helmet law. they have a seat belt law, is that stupid or what.

i see harley riders no helmet, sportbike riders tent to wear helmets.

its part of the teritory a helmet goes with the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i dunno about you guys but IMO riding without a helmet is plain old f'ing retarded...

sure, the wind probably feels nice on your face those moments between getting blasted in the face by bugs (and living out in middle georgia, a bug hits your mask at least once every 30 seconds if not more), it's probably an exhilarating feeling

but for a sport bike rider, i can't speak for anyone else but i sure as hell didn't buy a sport bike so i could cruise around doing 30 mph on some boring straightshot road in the middle of nowhere where there is no chance of encountering anything or anyone else on the road

and if that's not the environment you're in (and even if you are), no matter how skilled of a rider you are, there is always the possibility that something pretty bad can happen at any given moment

if i was riding cross country on a cruiser or something and was out in the middle of the desert if someone was following in a car or something i'd probably take my helmet off for a short stretch

but other than that, i'd much rather sacrifice the feeling of the wind battering against my my head to avoid the possibility that the pavement would get in on the assault

no matter how good you are there is always some a-hole in a cage out there on the road trying to kill you whether intentional or not

to all of those who do ride without a helmet:

good luck, i wish you the best, and i hope you have a hefty health, death and dismemberment life insurance policy if you at all give a shit about yourself and your family

just my 2 cents

Rob L

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Arizona is the same way. You have to wear a seatbelt but you don't have to wear a helmet. Oh well I guess this means more organ donors in NC.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I completely agree with robdd99. I cant not even see wearing a brain bucket. Yeah, they may save you from cracking your skull, but if you rip your jaw off, it's a mute point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We get the choice to wear them here in Illinois. To each their own. Wonderful thing to get the choice. I choose not to wear one most of the time. Guess i am just stupid! Just dont like the feeling of not being able to turn my head and see what is behind me. Sucks carrying something bigger then a basketball on my shoulders.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i believe over here in tn they just passed this law (this week possibly), i thought it was for riders 21 and older but i could be wrong, either way its stupid. im happy to see most of us are mature and understand that whether were required to or not, we would still choose to wear our helmets. im sure over the next few weeks ill be seeing plenty of riders without em, but i for one will still be wearing mine.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

Arizona is the same way. You have to wear a seatbelt but you don't have to wear a helmet. Oh well I guess this means more organ donors in NC.
that could be why they're passing this law, they don't have enough kidney's to go around...it makes since...

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
i'll never go without my lid ever only if i'm at the beach on the strip where its bumper to bumper all day
other thatn that... WEAR IT ALWAYS
statistics say a wreck at 35mph can have fatal results withoput a helmet

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
there's a reason that states will require a seatbelt and not a helmet. Lets look at two situations:

1) A person is driving the car and they hydroplane. This causes them to slide across the seat, to the passenger side. At this point, they are unable to regain control of the car. The car could then have a deadly collision that could have been prevented if the driver had stayed at the wheel and been able to regain control. (Keep in mind that the reason for passenger seatbelts is to prevent them from flying into the way of the driver.)

2) You're on a motorcycle and you lose control momentarily. Whether you regain control or not, it is only your head that will be damaged if you aren't wearing the helmet.

So yes..it's your head and I think you should be able to make the decision to not protect it if you choose to. However, the lack of a seatbelt can cause you to kill other people and not just yourself.

Agree with it or not, this is the argument that passes seat belt laws and lets some go without a helmet.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Who cares if people want to ride around without helmets? All i care about is my head. If dumbasses want to ride without a lid and get killed, better to get them out of the gene pool.. Evolution at its finest. Same reason there were no knights without armor, they all got killed.

I see plenty of harley guys with not helmets. But sportbike riders without helmets it completely retarded. Your on a machine meant to go fast. Duh.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Something that noobody hasnt brought up yet is.......... Insurance. when the state passes a law that doesnt require a helmet. Thats an excuse for the insurance companys to rasie the rates.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I see plenty of harley guys with not helmets. But sportbike riders without helmets it completely retarded.
Riding a Harley without a helmet is no less stupid.

Something that noobody hasnt brought up yet is.......... Insurance. when the state passes a law that doesnt require a helmet. Thats an excuse for the insurance companys to rasie the rates.
They SHOULD just not cover injuries that could have been prevented or minimized by the usage of a helmet. Or include an agreement with the policyholder that if an accident occurs and a helmet wasn't worn, the insurance will cover NOTHING. That way, those of us that will wear a helmet do not wind up paying the cost of the idiots that don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.