Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now...I haven't been into riding motorcycles but for a few years now, and obviously have not heard of everything that is out there as far types of bikes, engine size, etc...but these things...MY GOD! Less than 300 lbs. an putting out liter bike power...jeez...

Talk about high fucking side machines! These things are terrifying just listening to that high pitched wind...

Any of you badasses on here ever ridden one of these things?

The documentary was really neat to watch. Those guys make GP guys look tame...

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I rode the street RZ 500 V4 once back in the day. Closest I ever got.

I'd try one for sure. Would surely need a change of drawers afterward but I'm fine with that.

Just watched the vid. What a tease! I remember in the late 80s early 90s. Schwantz was my hero. Used to LOVE watching him and Rainey go at it.

Schwantz used to crash sooooooo often, even on the last lap when he was ahead of 2nd by a mile - fucking crazy maniac :punk

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no idea these 500cc bikes existed. Like I said...I don't history near as much as a lot of you on here.

Are these super 500s about as extreme as it gets? The guys over at Suter came out with a new one that puts out 195:

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Watched that vid while I was recovering from surgery,I think I watched it 5-6 times in one week. A must see :thumbup

·
7,744 Posts
I can only find the trailer on youtube.

Even for those of us who track a lot and who are smooth on the gas, it's so hard for us to imagine being on a bike with around the same amount of HP we're used to but in so much lighter of a bike and for the power delivery to basically be an all or nothing scenario. I wonder if modern TC could cope with one of those?

It's like my pant-shitting CR500 story... unless you've experienced a big 2 stroker, you can't really imagine what the big deal is all about.

·
7,744 Posts
And that right there is why Schwantz is the only guy I've ever called 'my hero'.

He didn't crash that race! :woohoo

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
He didn't crash that race! :woohoo
Which is rare :phhht

These bikes were monsters and one of the reasons I'm not really into racing anymore. My heroes have retired and the bikes today with all their electronic gadgets takes something away from racing. These 500cc bikes took real skill and courage to ride and ride well, crack the throttle 1mm too much and you were sliding down the track.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I had no idea these 500cc bikes existed. Like I said...I don't history near as much as a lot of you on here.

Are these super 500s about as extreme as it gets? The guys over at Suter came out with a new one that puts out 195:

https://youtu.be/X42r7fRdtWE
The 2t 500cc GP bikes were ridiculous,just before they were replaced by the 4t MotoGP bikes the top contenders were making +/- 200rwhp and weighed right around 300lbs. Making rwhp wasn't the issue,controlling it was. Watching them get busy on the racetrack was always a thrill lol. Here's an excellent read if your interested.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/history-of-the-500cc-two-stroke-grand-prix-bike
@le todd The vid/movie is on Netflix

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Just checked - not up here in canuckistan :(
Can't find it on Kodi either
My bad,The Unrideables 1&2 are both on Amazon to watch,not Netflix.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2t 500cc GP bikes were ridiculous,just before they were replaced by the 4t MotoGP bikes the top contenders were making +/- 200rwhp and weighed right around 300lbs. Making rwhp wasn't the issue,controlling it was. Watching them get busy on the racetrack was always a thrill lol. Here's an excellent read if your interested.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/history-of-the-500cc-two-stroke-grand-prix-bike
@le todd The vid/movie is on Netflix

I will definitely give it a read OG...thanks!

So the main reason for getting rid of the 2-stroke, was the way the power came on, correct? I can understand that being the control issue.

They could have added another 50-60 lbs. to the bike, kept the power and it would have been much easier to tame I would imagine. This would make them similar to 600cc bikes now'a days regarding weight...but that takes the fun and challenge out of what they were.

Just checked - not up here in canuckistan :(
Can't find it on Kodi either

PM'd you...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts