Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The \"systems access fee\" is bullshit !!!!!

So it turns out that the systerms access fee that your cellphone provider charges is bullshit. Ive always been told that its a government fee that gets passed along to feds. NOT TRUE. Its just another fee that the companies decided to add on. Fuck , if its not the insurance companies its somone else. Im begining to think that the communisits have the right idea. Does this piss anyone else off.....?? Im ready to go knock the guy who sold me my cell phone the fuck out.

the full article is in the todays star, biz section if anyones intrested.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
Re: The \"systems access fee\" is bullshit !!!!!

ah come on, you sound surprised by all this? I'm not one bit - dude welcome to the Capitalist system in NA.

Enjoy

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Im not pissed cause they are charging the fee im pissed cause all this time they told me the govt was getting the money and had no choice but to pay it. Which was easy for me to believe since ALL the phone companies charge the same "fee" that they say has nothing to do with them, and they are just passing on the "licencing fee", as one put it.
I still cant believe they are allowed to charge a fee, pass it off as a federal tax, then pocket the money.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Rory Breaker said:
So it turns out that the systerms access fee that your cellphone provider charges is bullshit. Ive always been told that its a government fee that gets passed along to feds. NOT TRUE. Its just another fee that the companies decided to add on. Fuck , if its not the insurance companies its somone else. Im begining to think that the communisits have the right idea. Does this piss anyone else off.....?? Im ready to go knock the guy who sold me my cell phone the fuck out.

the full article is in the todays star, biz section if anyones intrested.
actualy they are wrong.

The system access fee was never a gov fee. Its been this way for a few reasons and you can blame the CRTC for forcing cellular networks to pay it.

there is a fee and this was to ensure large companies like bell canada crush others out of the marketplace. heck fido just recovered out of bankrupcy and if it was not for that access fee they would never have started up.

it's on the crtc site. And no it's not a tax or a federal tax or anything like that.
it's moeny you pay to ensure that you have coverage in some shit holes up north and else were. it's a fee to make sure that the cell networks are able to operate at a certain standard so that they phone companies dont' sell 1000 phones with the capacity for only 10.

get it.

for more info chk out the crtc. and get over the fee.

it's almost like the .25C charge for 911 or whatever.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No actually I think you may be wrong..

The CRTC does not regulate wireless rates amd no company is forced to charge that fee. They do so by choice and mask it as a fee that the CRTC makes them charge so you think you have no choice to pay it.

·
Registered
289 Posts

I actually work in the wireless industry. This fee comes from Industry Canada. It used to be around $48 per year. The fee was raised to "subsidize the cost of residential phone lines" to $6.95 per month. This is according to an official letter from Industry Canada that was sent to all 4 mobile carriers. The fee is then passed on to each customer. None of the 4 mobile carriers make any money from this fee. It is passed directly to Industry Canada.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

First R3DLiN3 tells me that the fee is due to the CRTC, and now Hatthi is telling me that its an Industry canada fee and they get all the money.....WOW the phone companies have pulled a fast one.

And Hatthi, what exactly is it you do in the "wireless industry"?

Ok , i know i just learned about this a couple of days ago, and I know Im being stuborn, but I still am going by the article I read.

"Early last year industry canada raised the issue (that of the false government fee) after recieving complaints that wireless carriers were describing the charge as a mandatory fee collected on behalf of the government."

"...the carriers will only pay Industry Canada $125 million in annual spectrum licensing fees, compared to the $863 million that will be collected from the consumers through a systems access fee."

"Industry canada tried to get the carriers to put the following statement on every customer invoice ""System access fees are neither required nor collected by the government"" ....the carriers were furious with the governments proposal."

So are are saying that the Star just printed a big article full of fabricated info...

·
Registered
289 Posts

I am in a sales management department for one of the 4 major providers in Canada. I'm just forwarding on the info that was written in a statement from Industry Canada to our company in regards to why the license fee was increased. From the information I know none of the 4 providers make any profit from this fee. It's charged to each company by Industry Canada and it's up to each provider to charge it to the customer if they wish. There's no way any of the providers will swallow the cost of this fee. They didn't when it was $48 per year and they won't do it now. That's the info have on the situation. I don't have anything to gain or lose by giving you this info. I'm just passing on what I know. Believe what you want man.

·
Registered
289 Posts

R3DLiN3 said : "heck fido just recovered out of bankrupcy and if it was not for that access fee they would never have started up."

They actually filed for protection from the courts so they wouldn't have to file for bankrupcy. The company was then refinanced. The $6.95 fee in no way helped the company to restructure. The recapitalization plan reduced their debt and interest obligations to the company's and institutions that they had owed cash too. That is why they were able to continue on. They actually have a lower debt than Rogers and Telus mobility.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Newspapers can write whatever they want. The've been running articles on many different subjects for years without all the facts. Newspapers also wrote many false articles about about such things as the demise of Microcell last year. It never did or was going to happen. People within the Industry's higher ranks new this. But many articles stated that Microcell would be closing their doors. These articles were great for Bell, Telus and Rogers. They used the negative media to their advantage to hurt Microcell's already damaged reputation. Industry Canada and the govt also tell lies and bend the truth as well as Wireless providers. I can only tell you what I've seen at my company with my own eyes. It is totally possible that this could be happening but I haven't seen any proof of it yet. That's why I won't believe the article that the Star wrote. As soon as I see some proof I'll be the first to admit that wireless carriers are taking advantage of customers.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Hatthi said:
Newspapers can write whatever they want. The've been running articles on many different subjects for years without all the facts. Newspapers also wrote many false articles about about such things as the demise of Microcell last year. It never did or was going to happen. People within the Industry's higher ranks new this. But many articles stated that Microcell would be closing their doors. These articles were great for Bell, Telus and Rogers. They used the negative media to their advantage to hurt Microcell's already damaged reputation. Industry Canada and the govt also tell lies and bend the truth as well as Wireless providers. I can only tell you what I've seen at my company with my own eyes. It is totally possible that this could be happening but I haven't seen any proof of it yet. That's why I won't believe the article that the Star wrote. As soon as I see some proof I'll be the first to admit that wireless carriers are taking advantage of customers.
I agree, each year since the 80's they keep say'n it is the end for Detroit. Funny how over 20yrs later GM, ford are still around.

they also insist that eclectic cars are 'just around the bend' well they have said this since the 70's and I’m still waiting.

they also paint that each and every single police officer is bad and that all they ever do is eat a donut and rob you blind.

now back to the fee, IIRC there was a fee introduced in order to ensure that you don't sell 1000 phones with the ability to only service 10. there are levels you must provide. Also it is mandatory that the phone company provide a lane line based phone access anyplace you reside in. In this cost allot of ppl say in Toronto are pay'n 30cents more a month in order to sub the cost of running a phone line into a farm house way out in the middle of Ontario with none around for 15km.
By law the phone company must provide local land line service even if it costs well into the $1000's of $$$. there was a report on CTV news not to long ago were someone had to fight bell Canada in order to install telephone polls up to his farm house that was so remote it literally cost the company over $100,000 to do so. But the government forced them to do it and now my phone bill pays for that shmuck to have his phone.

IIRC the same government (how nice these ppl are huh) did something like this with the cell phones. They forced them all to make 911 service available at no cost to any operational phone weather it is active or not. Don’t' believe me, go out and buy a phone but don’t' activate it, next dial 911 and see what happens. You will get an operator and you can make emergency calls.

Now how do you think the phone company can afford to perform this service? you go it, system access fee. You pay so others don't have to.

Now Welcome to Canada and the retarded lib gov all you morons put into power.
hope your happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
R3DLiN3
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing