Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we all know how the TV networks are into reality shows lately, so I thought I'd start my own reality show here on Gixxer.com...
The Stoopid Show!!
Follow the ups and downs of an average fellow as he tries to rebuild his 88 GSXR 750. I'm sure there will some laughing for you and maybe some crying from me!!

Anyhow, the story begins with Stoopid bringing home a basket case 88 GSXR 750 that needs alot of work
(See pic below). Fast forward past a winter of scanning Ebay for parts and not much work done on the bike, all his freinds are now out riding and Stoopid is sweating his [email protected] off in the basement trying to get the bike back together...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, Episode 1...

Here's where Stoopid's bike stands at this point in time...

The frame is powder coated black and the rear suspension is in, including the 01 GSXR 750 rear shock nicked off [email protected] for $36 including shipping. Rear swing arm is polished of course.

Big thanks again to Bones GSXR for the piece of subframe the tail box mount to. It went to good use!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, what else can I tell you. The engine is almost ready to go back in. I just want to check the valve lash, fix a stripped bolt hole and finish cleaning it before I wrestle it back in. Hopefully, I don't have to touch up the frame after it's in!

I'm also in the middle of polishing the front forks. I noticed the bottom adjusters were very hard to turn, so I'll remove them and clean them up.

I picked up grips, steering head bearings and tank cushions this morning. My local Suzuki dealer loves it when I call ($$$). We (mainly he) were laughing over the crap you find and have to fix after fully stripping a bike. It might end up being cheaper if I had just bought a new bike... thank gawd I don't do this for a living!! I'd be broke!!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
whens the next show? Stoopid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good luck. I love to follow projects, even if they are about puting a bike into stock shape. If you need plastic for the bike let me know, I have some nice pieces

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the support guys!!
I'm about to go to the basement and have at it for a couple of hours. I'll try to post some progress pics tonight. Maybe I should post a warning... there may be some coarse laguage and blood involved!!

When I took the bike apart, I laid the bike on its side and lifted the frame off the engine, mainly because I didn't want to try and get a grip on the oily engine. For those of you who have had the engine out of the frame, do you think it is easier to wrestle the engine into the frame or wrestle the frame over the motor when putting them back together??

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
HAHAHA...your so STOOPID!
Awesome work though, can't wait for the next episode very nice job on the frame and swingarm.
PS: If you throw some sex into that "coarse language and blood" warning I think you'll have a hit!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stoneagegixxer: thanks for the offer. I have all the plastics, although they are in rough shape. I have avoided buying original pieces in good shape because my bike will have a custom paint job done by me!! I see a body work episode in my future!!!
I'll leave the nice original panels for those who want to restore their bikes to original shape.

Robben: Everybody here has you to thank, or blame
, for me starting this post. It was your suggestion, but don't expect any royalties from the show!!

Juice Bruce: Thanks for the compliment!!! I've talked to the wifey and it would be a big "NO!!" on the sex thing!!
And I'm quite sure noone would like to see Stoopid having sex by himself!!!

Update: OK fans, here what Stoopid accomplished today... Sweet Feck All !!!
OK, this is not quite true. Stoopid did get the stripped threads fixed and completed the valve adjustments, which was a piece of cake... even for a guy with ten thumbs!!
There were only two intake and two exhaust valves that were a little loose (approx. 0.007-8"). The cams looked pretty good... a little wear and a couple of minor pits. Stoopid was a little concerned at how easy the engine turned over using a wrench with the spark plugs still in! Houston, we have a problem!!
Screw it!! No money in the budget for a ring job episode at this time!! It'll be fine... right?

Stoopid is having one helluva time trying to type with crusty fingers!!! The glory of rebuilding a motorcycle using your own two hands and all your manly talents!
Noone mentions the hours spent leaning over an old wash sink cleaning bolts and dirty parts!! Me fingers are clean, dirty, oily, dry and cracked all at the same time!! My hands look so bad I'm half scared to hold on to me little fella while havin' a pee!!

Anyhow, enough writing for today. I have to get some sleep so I can get up bright and early to screw something up!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
And I'm quite sure noone would like to see Stoopid having sex by himself!!!
yah thats a no.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Your funny, Stoopid. I'm enjoying the show.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
.... What? No royalties?
Just so long as I get a tiny mention in the footnotes, I'm happy.

I hear ya on the greasy fingers. It was a real chore cleaning up each night before retiring, but I wasn't going anywhere near the digital camera without some kind of scrubbing. I tried dish-soap since it was handy, but nothing worked like getting some proper handcleaner, designed for mechanic types. You can get it cheapest over at Cdn Tire, I would think.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
In a bind dish soap with a teaspoon of sugar will get your hands finger-lick’n-good! The sugar acts like pumice and is easy on the plumbing.
Juice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wahooooo!!! The engine is in, the engine is in!!!!
I had to get the wifey to help guide the frame over the engine, which took several attampts to get right. That was like trying to figure out the rubics cube.. a twist this way, rotate it a little that way... nope that's not it, try again!!
Anyhow, all bolted up and only lost 10 lbs in sweat holding the frame and swinger up!!! Note to self... attach the swing arm after installing the frame!!!
I'd love to show you a pic, but I had to take the digi camera back to work.

I also popped the inner bearings of the steering stem. Well the top one popped, the bottom one requires special tool to remove!!! Dooh!!
Wait a minute, I have a special tool... D-R-E-M-E-L !! A little slice down the race and good smack with a hammer on a big flat screw driver and OOOWWWW, CRAP the screw driver slips and me hand gets smashed!!
OK, a few more attemps while paying better attention to the placement of my hands and its off!! Me hand still hurts, though!!

I have to go to a BBQ ( I can't get enough BBQ steak
) so it's clean up time!! I do have a big pump jug of hand cleaner, but I clean my hand every 30 minutes or so while working on the bike!! I get dirty easy!!

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts

You need to invest in a digital camera for the home. This is a little like the radio shows of yesteryear... Entertaining though. Congrats on getting the engine in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts