Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be some confusion as to how engines work, so here's the brief run-down:

Air rushes into the the cylinder when the inlet valve opens (nature abhorrs a vacuum cleaner) where it is heated by the spark from a spark plug. The heated air expands, pushing the cylinder down. Remember, the addition of fuel is only a lie perpetrated by the oil companies. Using more powerful spark plugs gives you more power. This is why the blinker fluid mod works: with a good quality blinker fluid, you lose less power to your blinkers! Another good mod is thinner wiring as that draws less power away from your sparkplug too.

Once the heated air has pushed the piston down, it is then allowed to escape via the exhaust. This is where your muffler bearings come into effect. The air rushing past the muffler bearings spins them very fast. If your bearings are poor quality, they slow the air down and lose you power.

To measure the power of your engine, use a good dyno. You can measure the power in several ways, most people use a rolling road dyno. You will see hp given as either rwhp (rear wheel horsepower: power as measured at the rear wheel, which is why front wheel drive cars are so slow, they have 0 rwhp), crank horsepower (power as measured at the crank, thus eliminating transmission loss) or sphp (spark plug horsepower, power as measured at the sparkplug, thus eliminating any losses consumed by turning the engine). Obviously, sphp gives you the highest number, which of course means you will travel faster.

I will leave the rest of this guide for other experts here to add to, hopefully we can build up a full masterclass on how the infernal combustion engine works.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I couldn't find anyone with a dyno around here, but NRev gave me a great Idea. I put the bike on a treadmill, and ran it. My question is, how do you program the treadmill to measure spark horse power. Should I just pull the plugs and put THEM on the dyno? I'm so confused. Good thing about the treadmill, there's no bugs...(no offense Bugman,if you read this.)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
apparently you guys haven't heard my latest mod. SPHP is old news. You can EASILY remove the spark plugs, and then drain all the fluids, and remove the radiator. That way the engine gets hot enough by ITSELF that you don't even NEED the plugs to heat the air. I think the air from the engine might even be HOTTER giving you increased horsies at the crank anyways. PLUS you LOSE like 50 pounds of weight in the mod, and we all know less weight = better wheelies. Give it a try guys... I can't believe no one thought of this sooner!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
as per your advice i took the rad off, and man - the best thing anybody has ever thought of. that thing pops up like no tomorrow even with me sitting on the tank!

keep the good advice coming

·
Registered
29 Posts
I need to know about the inverse ovid reticulator. I'm not spending 1200 bucks if I can build one myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take your 1200 bucks and just forget about that inverse ovarian articulator. I sourced a set of High Performance Mary Kay D.C. powered hair dryers. All you need do is mount them in the space afforded by the radiator mod. I sold the extra parts on E-Bay and got a one way priceline ticket to Italy. In Italy Joseppi bent me some Ti intake pipes to route the hair dryers into the sparkplug holes and I easily saw another 200 rear wheel horse power. Currently thinking about going with NTN muffler bearings and making the fuel pump into an intercooling air compressor pump for the hairdryers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
WOW i just recently converted mine to FWD rear wheel steering.
what a blast to ride

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by badkarma11:
I couldn't find anyone with a dyno around here, but NRev gave me a great Idea. I put the bike on a treadmill, and ran it. My question is, how do you program the treadmill to measure spark horse power. Should I just pull the plugs and put THEM on the dyno? I'm so confused. Good thing about the treadmill, there's no bugs...(no offense Bugman,if you read this.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dunno about all that high-tech treadmill-stuff... but somebody be sure to tell jonTflesh not to piss on the spark plug, `k?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts