Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to mechanical stuff, I almost always break something. What are the specs of the bolt that tightens the shift linkage onto the transmission shaft? I broke it off (must have cross threaded it at some point). Where is a good place to get one, Lowe's, Home Depot, online?
So I was tighting up my chain and couldn't get consistent slack. At one point it would be just right and then as I turned the tire it would be too tight. Adjusted the tire all kinds of ways but no difference. In regards to this, where is the Gilles adjuster group buy (hint, hint resellers!)? Have people done the 520 conversion on their K5 yet?

·
Registered
919 Posts
ok... multiple questions there...

the bold that tightens the shift linkage to the tranny shaft ... the "bolt" that comes out of the tranny shaft is a star shaft, and it has a ring that clamps around it, and that ring is what connects linkage rod to tranny... i dont understand which bolt u broke - if its just the rod that got stripped, its only supposed to be torqued to just beyond finger tightness (less than 10lbs)

the inconsistant chain slack is almost always a product of the axle not being lined up correctly... dont use the marks, use a string to measure distance from frame to rear axle on both sides.

the gillies adjusters might help here, but not necessary, but there was a thread a couple weeks back that had some nice lower prices.

the 520 conversions are out, but not everyone has picked them up due to the fact that 1000s rip 520 chains apart with a quickness

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
So I was tighting up my chain and couldn't get consistent slack. At one point it would be just right and then as I turned the tire it would be too tight. Adjusted the tire all kinds of ways but no difference.
----------------------------------

If ya cant get the slack set properly, this is because the chain is worn and there is a tight spot in it. Adjust the tension at the tightest spot in the chain (bout 1" slack). Replace the chain/sprockets when you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket far enough to see approx 1/3 the tooth depth.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys. Feel better knowing that it is probably the chain, well not really since I only have a little over 3000 miles on it.

The bolt I was talking about has an 8mm head, just don't know the exact length or thread pitch. The shift linkage slides on to the shaft and the bolt clamps tights down the linkage. Maybe I could find it if I look at micro fiche.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
My brand new chain and sprockets have the same symptoms you describe with your chain. I'm gonna have to measure it with a string, as GSX-RJJordan mentioned.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Or the rear sprocket is not perfect round or it has a bigger hole in the middle than the cush drive hub and is off center.

Try rotating the wheel till the chain is it's tightest , and then crack all the rear sprocket nuts and squeeze the chain in. Retighten the nuts while squeezing the chain and see if it evens out the tight spot.

If it does, then it's just the back sprocket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts