Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday was a beautiful day so I went for a ride with my friend whose got a CBR 929. We hit a straight stretch and jam on it. I get up to 135 (which is the fastest I've had my stock '89 750 up to) and he gets to 144. Considering the stretch of road (it's not really long, just sorta long) I was glad that he didn't just smoke my old bike's butt with his 6 month old new Honda.

AFter that though, my bike seems really sluggish taking off from a stop. It's fine doing anything but taking off from a stop but it seems almost like it's starving for gas. I have two in line filters for the fuel lines and didn't see any debris and previously checked the filter in the tank. I did as a precautionary measure replace a section of fuel line since it looked kinda like it kinked. Problem goes away when on choke. thoughts, ideas, etc??? Clean the carbs, ugh?

Also, this is the ugly part, I guess, when I took the tank off and inadvertantly push in on the petcock it dribbles/leaks gas!!!!! Yargh, enlighten me on the Pingel thing or is there a good reliable way to repair what I have.

------------------
We are men of action, lies do not become us. Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we'll all be dead.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Remove your carbs and clean them .DOnt hold back clean them good.
About your pet cock Ive seen them leak with light pressure on them.
A pingel will stop it from leaking and flows alot faster (well worth the money)
Just dont forget to get one with reserve cause u dont have a warning light.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey Dude, here's the low down on the Pingel Valve, AWESOME! Just got one for my 86 R1100, these valves are far better than the factory....and less $$$ (around $70-80; compared to $100+ for the factory)...if you go to Pingels website ( www.Pingelonline.com ), there is a reference chart (there is only one valve for GIXXERs) for the valve and adaptor plate..You can order them thru any cycle parts dealer that uses Parts Unlimited (they just picked them up)....Good Luck and hope this helps..

P.S. - Please don't let that slab of a Honda beat you again ......

------------------
Don DeVore @ DC's GSXR Pitstop
< www.TheGSXR.20m.com >

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pingel Valves for GSXR's and the adaptor plates are on back order..oh well.

Do they use the vacuum operation like the stock petcock? I couldn't really tell by their spec sheet on their website. Thanks guys.

------------------
We are men of action, lies do not become us. Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we'll all be dead.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i don't think it's a fuel flow problem, because you mentioned that the problem goes away when on choke. opening the choke basically dumps raw fuel into the intake stream, so if you had a fuel flow problem, opening the choke wouldn't have helped.

i'd suspect a clogged jet. does it still seem like it's starving for gas at higher rpm's? or does the bike pretty much run fine, but only starves down low? if it runs fine up top but not down low, it's likely a clogged pilot jet (the orifices are tiny and a small piece of debris may have gotten past the fuel filter and clogged it).

try putting some fuel system cleaner (i use chevron techron, but there are other good ones as well) in the tank, ride the bike around, and see if that helps.

where does the fuel leak from out of the petcock? from where the shaft comes out?

suzuki doesn't sell the internal pieces of the petcock separately, so you'd have to buy the whole thing as a unit, which will run you about $100.

in which case you'd probably be better off getting the pingel. i don't believe they're vacuum operated, so you'd need to remember to turn it off before removing the tank.

------------------

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it starves down low and runs fine at the higher RPM's. It's really doggy taking off from stops.

The petcock leaks when you put any side pressure on the knob or push in so it's leaking around the shaft. It doesn't do it a lot, it's just very disconcerting to see it when it does like "let me douse my hot oil cooled engine in fuel and see if I can light it on fire". So if the Pingel doesn't need vacuum, I'll just need to remove the vacuum tubing and cap the vacuum opening on the carb, right?

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, in that case i'd strongly suspect a clogged pilot jet. run some fuel system cleaner through and see if it clears up.

with the pingel, just remove the existing vacuum hose that runs to the carb, and plug off the opening.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts