Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A relative of mine happens to work for a company who produces lenses, and they work with NASA to develop lenses for use on the Hubbell telescope. This photo was captured of "The Eye of God", and supposedly this event only occurs once every 3000 years. It's a very interesting picture to say the least.

·
big floppy donkey dick
2,972 Posts
That is pretty awesome...

i have seen it before but it never fails to amaze.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000828.html

Explanation: One day our Sun may look like this. The Helix Nebula is the closest example of a planetary nebula created at the end of the life of a Sun-like star. The outer gasses of the star expelled into space appear from our vantage point as if we are looking down a helix. The remnant central stellar core, destined to become a white dwarf star, glows in light so energetic it causes the previously expelled gas to fluoresce. The Helix Nebula, given a technical designation of NGC 7293, lies 450 light-years away towards the constellation of Aquarius and spans 1.5 light-years. The above image was taken with the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) located atop a dormant volcano in Hawaii, USA. A close-up of the inner edge of the Helix Nebula shows unusual gas knots of unknown origin

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grandevil said:
Can you post a link to the high resolution version? I would love to use it as a background.

Do you know what the phenomenon actually is? I mean besides the name.
Here is a brief explanation from a NASA gov. site; http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000828.html

This is the highest resolution picture i've found. Hope it's not to big :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.