Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after an extremely long search, I found and purchased my GSX-R 600 40th Anniversary Limited Edition.. I used to ride a Ninja 500R for a short while a few years back until I got sick and had to sell it.. I'm new to the forum and had a question lingering..
The dreaded D word....
I am only 5'3 and 95lbs.. Any advice on how to handle myself and my bike if I should ever drop it? I'm sure some of you ladies have experienced this and I just wanted to know how you handled it? One of my fears (other than the obvious.. being injured) is to be out on my own and lay it down and not able to get it back up.
Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Didn't they teach you that in the MSF class? Haven't you ever lifted something really heavy before? You basically back yourself up to it, squat down and grab it with your hands. Then lift with your legs.

Ever do leg press in the gym? You're talking about the same muscle group, and even a very small girl can put up very big weight that way. And you're leveraging the bike up onto the wheels, not deadlifting the whole weight.

Of course the best option is to just not drop it :thumbup

·
It burns down where I sit
5,766 Posts
Word up Super Duke.

Just don't drop it.

But if you do I dbout you will be worried about the damn thing.

They make replacement parts and it's only money.

Be very careful out there and stay light on the bars!

Lock out your arms and don't try to curl it up. Your arms are going to be to weak to get it off the ground.

Try not to ride alone. :dunno

·
Registered
3 Posts
I woulnt worry too much about not being able to pick up the bike - if you dropped it because of a wreck, youve got bigger problems. The big thing is to make sure that you can sit on it with both feet firmly on the ground for stability, being 5'3", you might have to lower it. I ride a 1000 and I've dropped mine before -the website about picking it up is good advice, but just to add to that, you should probably put the kick stand down on the left if you drop it on the right side, just to make sure one big heave doesnt go too far

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Flat-footing and being strong doesn't mean you won't drop the bike. Just ask my husband :lol. It's about 99% sure you'll drop it in your driveway, at a stop, or in a parking lot, where it's easy to find someone to help you pick it up. And typically very little damage. People help women on bikes. You just gotta ask. And carry a cell phone.

The thing about Skert's method is that the bikes always have big sidebags. A sportbike flat on the ground (or on gravel) is a whole different ball game. I just never had the nerve to set my bike down to see how well it works.

Broken levers, signals, and fairings can be replaced. No big deal. I'm 5'1" and on my 5th bike (none of them lowered). I have my limits, but shaved seats, high-soled shoes, and the right bike have worked fine.

Do the best you can to avoid low spots, etc. then just go ride. :punk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help ladies!
First.. I am very comfortable on my bike.. It's perfect size..
Second.. I'm not talking about dropping it while in motion.. As Luna said there are those time when mistakes happen such as while backing it during parking. I am not worried about damage to the bike either..
I did take the MSF class but was never taught how to actually pick up a fallen bike. In theory and on paper is MUCH different than reality. I am just an EXTREMELY small person to pick up a bike that is 4 times the size of me. My bike is lowered and I am flat footed. I don't plan on dropping it.. I'd rather be prepared in case it does occur than be up the creek..

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
If you are worried about dropping the bike and given your height. Lower the bike if you must. Though I hate to say it. It'd be for your best of interest and saftey. And if you are worried about damage then add frame sliders or invest in a stunt cage.

Just some ideas. And welcome to GDC.:cheers

·
GDC's Martha Stewart
7,545 Posts
I've known girls who could barely lift a gallon of milk so I can see why she's worried. Most of the time especially in places like a parkinglot or whatnot, you will have people around to help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bike is lowered.. almost too much.. it could stand to be raised an inch. I am flat footed with my knees a little bent. It's easy for me to back up but there is always the chance of that stray gravel or wet spot causing a slip up.

I checked that website and it really put me at ease to know it is possible to do by myself.. I am looking into getting frame sliders ASAP because it is a limited edition and I'd hate scratch up those pretty farings!
Thanks again for all the help!

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts
with your bike being lowered that much, its just a matter of time till you go down especially when not being able to clear a turn due to it being so lowered. ever thought about taking some of the padding out of the stock seat?

j

·
Registered
431 Posts
most drops occur when parking as your concentration level drops, as you are very concious about the fear of not being able to pic the bike up that will help you avoid the situation.
also your passion for your pretty bike "I'd hate scratch up those pretty farings!" if you did find yourself in the situation of dropping the bike adrenaline will kick in and you will be amazed at how quick you will pick the bike up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly, your best bet if it does happen is to get some one else to pick the bike up for you. I'm 5' and 100 lbs and there's no way in hell I'm picking up my Gixxer. I'm not risking injury to my back just to prove a point.

Most of the stupid drops occur in parking lots, etc and there's usually some one else around. Ask for help and don't feel ashamed. If you ride alone in unpopulated areas, always carry a cell phone and in worse case scenario call a friend to help you out.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, once you have your frame sliders installed get a couple guys to help you gently put the bike on the side and see if you can pick it up by bracing with your back to the bike and using your leg muscles. At least you'll know for sure if you can do it, and if you can't, accept the reality. We can't all do every thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts