Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yeah the write up seriously simplifies things...the fork oil level is the only thing im iffy on but im figureing it out...either way, where are the mods? shouldnt this be stickied somewhere? :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ive written a mod about this and it still seems they arent interested in stickying this...too bad as its the most informative article ive seen on this site...

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
this is going to save me a lot of time the next time I change my fork seals...thanks a mil!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey- I don't need the info, but the article does look great! Very detailed and thorough :cheers . I'm sure as soon as someone else goes looking for this information they'll be greatful.

Maybe everyone is just grumpy with all of this GD snow and ice :cursing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nitrod86gt said:
this is one of the most technical informative articles ive ever seen on this site and im not getting any love?? weak
Umm.... I love you???

J/K man, good information. I just needed to see it done once and now I don't feel scared about doing it to my own bike anymore.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ok i did it last night...changed em out...went off without a hitch!...for the record THIS IS A TWO MAN JOB!! the only way to get around it is to have two ratchet straps available...either way..its done...i used Suzuki fork seals, 5W Belray fork oil and set the height at 101mm (3.9 inches)...i havent got em back on to ride it yet but hopefully they will hold together :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nitrod86gt said:
this is one of the most technical informative articles ive ever seen on this site and im not getting any love?? weak
Excellent write up for sure, but I dont think I'll be changing my forks anytime soon :wait

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks a lot. Saved me time and money. i had to run back and forth from my garage to this post but i got er done and the next time me or a friend blows a seal it will be a snap.

Oh and i used the old seal to seat the new ones, worked just fine.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Guess I've been landing my wheelies too hard cuz I have a leaking seal on the left side. I did a search and this write up is great! I can not figure out what oil to use. The manual says Suzuki L01 Fork oil. I'm wonder where to get that online or what equivalent to order. I'd like to only rebuild one shock and then do the other one later so I'd like to match the oil. I found this chart:
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/fork_brake_others/images/PDF/forkoil_expert_blendchart.pdf

Which says its 15.5W oil, but I'm not sure about this (seems like I have to mix it? And whats up with the differences in temperature in the chart?). Does anyone know? If not, I'll have to do both forks at once I guess ... prob should do it that way anyway, but I'm thinking it will be OK .. maybe not though. Any advice would be great.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
slack0Yd said:
Guess I've been landing my wheelies too hard cuz I have a leaking seal on the left side. I did a search and this write up is great! I can not figure out what oil to use. The manual says Suzuki L01 Fork oil. I'm wonder where to get that online or what equivalent to order. I'd like to only rebuild one shock and then do the other one later so I'd like to match the oil. I found this chart:
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/fork_brake_others/images/PDF/forkoil_expert_blendchart.pdf

Which says its 15.5W oil, but I'm not sure about this (seems like I have to mix it? And whats up with the differences in temperature in the chart?). Does anyone know? If not, I'll have to do both forks at once I guess ... prob should do it that way anyway, but I'm thinking it will be OK .. maybe not though. Any advice would be great.
Do yourself a favor and replace both seals at the same time.

Use this chart to help you determine the fork oil you need. 15.5wt fork oil is way to thick to run in these forks. The stock Suzuki oil is about 5wt.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Thanks SPL, I guess 5W oil? I'm not sure what it means under L01 (its blank) ... Is 40C the number I want to use? cant be because I'm back to 15.5W again ... I'm thinking its the VT column I want to use, but its blank for L01. Thanks again.

I'll do them both at the same time. It makes sense. I'm just lazy :)

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
+1

Mine weren't leaking at all when I replaced them, just as good practice when I opened up the forks to clean them out and put fresh oil in them which you are supposed to do every 7500-10K miles of street riding anyway, more often with track racing.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts
About this Discussion
125 Replies
78 Participants
Pete/750
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing