Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have alot more riding experience and knowledge than I, this question is for you. I need a 5/20 conversion kit, but I am unsure of which brand names are considered the best and are more durable that the rest. I know that DID chains are considered up there with the best, but what about the sprockets? It will be going on a 2004 1K. Thanx for any help and possible links as to where I might could purchase these at a reasonable cost. God Bless....J

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the Vortex sprockets W/DID chain on my TLR at 4k miles. At 16.6k miles they still look good. The trick is to do your stupid maintenance correctly. Most people overtighten the chain then break it or break teeth of the sprockets or wear them out quicky. So just a note for the future posts to come from people saying not to do the 520 kit, the failure was their own fault most likely.

As to a kit, you don't necessairly need one. Just order a DID 520 chain (Get the best model they have, they're nice GXW I believe they're called) and a front and rear sprocket. I went aluminum and I like it but steel will last longer but is obviously heavier.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I believe the best is the AFAM sprockets, and AFAM's chain. The chain may be hard to get from most dealers, or u can call them direct.

Get the 520-8 OHR Chain. Make sure u tell the rep at the AFAM that you're using it for an extended drag/street bike, so he'll make sure to give u the STRONG one.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
i ran the erv2 chain with vortex sprockets on my race bike for 2 seasons and they were fine. granted this was a 600, and the 1k will be tougher on parts.. but the erv2 chain from did is the tits.. but this time i ordered afam sprockets. i had good luck with afam in the past and im sure i will again.. i went + 3 on the rear this time.. should be in any day now.

reach out for mike at [email protected] and tell him i sent ya.. you wont be dissapointed with the price.

·
Premium Member
73,234 Posts
i have the afam sprockets as well, and an rk chain. very good quality parts. i got them from www.sprocketcenter.com

·
Banned
564 Posts
i will only run a did erv2 520 chain on a liter bike. sprockets are pretty much a toss up. i have had better luck with afam but chain adjustment is the key life saver in sprocket wear.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I can find is the erv3 chain and it runs like $140. Is this right. That thing must have some gold flakes or plat. pins in it. For a chain, I just guess I didn't think it'd be that high.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
must be the new model if its the 3.. and yes they are expensive.. but they are worth it.. would you rather buy two chains to last as long as one erv, or just do it once with the erv.. great chain. im sure there are other great chains out there, but i swear by the did. talk to mike about prices..

·
Premium Member
73,234 Posts
on a side note, i will be switching to the new d.i.d. chain when i do my next swap.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I used a RK GB520GXW last year with a Stealth rear sprocket . Stood up excellent . Just ordered same chain again with RRP sprockets for my Marvics . Going to wear the old set out on my wifes 600 . The way Brian spoke from Sprocket Center the Rk's are wearing as good as the DID's and are rated for a 1K ... 40.00 cheaper too .

Dave

·
Premium Member
73,234 Posts
i talk to brian at sprocket center as well, he is the man. that is the same chain i use, so maybe i should stay with it instead of switching to the d.i.d. chain...

·
Registered
31 Posts
renthal or sprocketspecalist "coughcough" vortex sucks on a liter bike DiD v2 or v3 the only chain that will last for 2 or three years out there Bank on that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts