Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am approaching 500 miles on my 06 600 and want to start getting the parts necessary to do my 600 mile service. So far, the only thing i am sure that i am doing is an oil and filter change, and checking over the bike (chain slack, tighten nuts/bolts, check all fluids, air pressure). What oil and viscosity do you guys reccomend for 70-40 degree weather?

Should i look into a chain lube? Anything available that doesn't fling off all over the place?

How about air filter check/replacement?

What else should i plan on doing?

Also, any good DIY articles on changing the oil, or should i just follow the manual?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just had mine done at the dealer a week ago. You don't need to check the air filter until 4,000 miles. Everything that you said is pretty much what they do at the dealer. Suzuki sells chain lube so you can get it there. As for directions just follow the service manual everything is in there including everything you have to do and check for the 600 mile service and beyond. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Change your oil NOW, and change it a few more times until you get to 1,500 miles.

Other than that, adjust your chain, take off all the plastics and give her a good once over. Changing the oil is a breeze.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't you have to get the break-in (600mi.) service done at the dealers in order to keep the warrenty valid. I thought this was the case, this is why i took mine into the dealer, otherwise, all bike maintainence is done by ME...

·
Registered
237 Posts
DottoreItalia said:
Don't you have to get the break-in (600mi.) service done at the dealers in order to keep the warrenty valid. I thought this was the case, this is why i took mine into the dealer, otherwise, all bike maintainence is done by ME...
That is what my dealer told me so i had no choice in the matter. I just ate the price this time around but the bike will never go into the dealership for oil changes and what not again since i will be doing them myself.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,787 Posts
I bought a service package, so it was included under that.

Anyone buying a new bike should negotiate the first service into the sale.

·
Registered
333 Posts
DottoreItalia said:
Kawasaki clearly states on their web site that you can do the first service yourself as long as you keep the parts receipt (oil and filter).

I think it's the same for Suzuki but dealers like to scare you into thinking otherwise. Anyone knows Suzuki's official position on the subject with 100% certainty?!? I am pretty sure it is not legal to void a warranty because of that but it's better to be certain...

Edit: don't forget to tighten the engine mounts, mine were getting loose after the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
"you need to bring it back to us for the 600 mile service" is what dealers tell to the squids. And they believe them. :lol
The 600 mile raping usually only works once, then they'll never see the customer again, so the dealer has to get the business any way they can. Telling unsuspecting customers that the warranty will be invalid otherwise is just another reason they are referred to as stealerships.

·
Registered
120 Posts
av_fan said:
"you need to bring it back to us for the 600 mile service" is what dealers tell to the squids. And they believe them. :lol
The 600 mile raping usually only works once, then they'll never see the customer again, so the dealer has to get the business any way they can. Telling unsuspecting customers that the warranty will be invalid otherwise is just another reason they are referred to as stealerships.

this is my second "big" bike and once again i have taken it to de dealer for the 600miles (1000km) service. this is because in spain you have 2 years warranty but if you dont take the bike to the dealer for the services during this time, the warranty is voided.

dont u get a little book where the dealer has to sign when a service has been done?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
SergioGSX said:
dont u get a little book where the dealer has to sign when a service has been done?
:lol No. Its obviously different in Spain. Here, the dealerships just make shit up and people believe it. :lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
av_fan said:
:lol No. Its obviously different in Spain. Here, the dealerships just make shit up and people believe it. :lol

:lol :lol ok ok, i was just wondering. if it wasnt for that %!·$""!·%$:cursing little book i would do all the maintenance myself as i used to do with my old bike when the 2 years went over, but warranty is warranty :hammer

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do any of you guys know if there is a downloadable version (PDF file?) of the service manual for this bike? I know oil changes and such are easy, but each bike has its tips and tricks to get the job done.

Yea, i would be very unhappy if i was forced to take the bike to the dealer. I prefer to do everything myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
flzrider said:
Do any of you guys know if there is a downloadable version (PDF file?) of the service manual for this bike? I know oil changes and such are easy, but each bike has its tips and tricks to get the job done.

Yea, i would be very unhappy if i was forced to take the bike to the dealer. I prefer to do everything myself.

there is a post in this section with a copy of the manual.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My dealership is charging me $150 for everything (including tax, oil, filter, etc) for the 600 mile or 2 months service (whichever comes first)...Is that fair?

·
Registered
280 Posts
doesnt sound that bad cause oil and filter will run you about $30-40 so you are paying like $110 to keep your warranty. althought i never bought a brand new bike, so what do i know!

·
Registered
691 Posts
av_fan said:
Some people are willing to pay for piece of mind. I've always taken my bikes in for their first service and did all my service after that. My dealership doesn't seem to rake me over the coals on the service as well. They are always fair and treat me well. :cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.