Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here they are. Thanks folks, for helping me get them posted. I'm a little embarrassed to say that the paint job took me about 40 hours, and still has some blemishes that are driving me nuts. Oh well--It's about 97% better than the old paint.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to go take some close-ups. Will post them in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
lookin good is that your first pro. type paint finish.?? now all you need is some chrome gsxr dacals and you'll be in there.!
you store your bike in a building.? .??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes this is my first attempt at any sort of a paint job. I just read up on the subject beforehand. I used Plasticote paint, and no machines of any kind. Good idea about the chrome decals. Where might I get such things?

Anyway, here are a couple of close-ups.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and yes I store my bike inside, Seven.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
That looks great, especially for a first time paint job. Don't worry about the flaws too much. Only you know where they all are. Nobody else will notice, especially when you're doin' fly-bys.

The polished rims really set it off nicely. Good job.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Oh, and yes I store my bike inside, Seven.
lmao what I ment was is that a storage building. like ..the one i am going to keep mine in I gotta pay for cause wher I live motorcycles aren't allowed. in the park. but I gotta pay for a storage space

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I've never been to Betty Ford, although my wife would love it if I did. And Seven, that is the garage that is attached to my apartment. I'm surprised I didn't get shut down when I turned it into a paint shop the last three weekends. It sucks that you have to pay for storage. Better than keeping the bike on the street though. Anyway, thanks for the comments, folks.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey Tbrown, you said you used plasikote paint from a can? I tried a simlar paint job years ago and a painter pointed out a hint of brown in the paint. I forgot whcih brand i used, but in fact I could see the brown in the black pigment. It looks like yours is a good deep colored black. I think I might attempt this to redo a fender. Any more details on which paint you used would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the black gloss, 1130 or something, and the acrylic clear, 1100 or something. Maybe the numbers are reversed. But at any rate, they are the Plastikote acrylic paints. My only advice is to lay many coats of clear--like 7 or 8--to avoid wearing through the clear during sanding/buffing. I'm far from an expert, but feel free to ask more questions.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
hey tbrown, that looks good!

by the way; i can tell that you have 36mm slingshot carbs. and yeah, i like the shirt.

see you soon.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really!!! How can you tell that they are 36mm? Anyway, thanks for the compliment bro.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
by the top cover.

they should have two inlet fuel hoses.

these are the 36mm slingshots. they have two bolts for the top cover. [image]

these are the 31mm&34mm from the first generation. they have four bolts on the top cover.
[image]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts