Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a compression gauge from my local auto shop to check cylinder compression on my K6 600 which returned very low results, average of 75 PSI across all four cylinders, I wasn't necessarily surprised as it was running incredibly rough, but after hearing about compression gauges that are more on the cheaper side returning inaccurate readings, I hit up a mate to ask if I can test his Grom which should return roughly 160 PSI in healthy conditions, the bike only has 8,000 KM's and is in perfect working order, after heating the bike up to operating temp, I screwed in the hose, turned on the bike, cracked the throttle full open and hit the ignition, the max reading it returned was 65 PSI, jumping up to 75 PSI with some oil dripped into the cylinder, which I found really bizarre as there's no reason for his pressure to be that low...
I attempted about 3-4 times and each time the readings were different, not drastically, but noticeable, for instance in the video it showed 50 PSI, but the max I achieved was 75, other time it was 60 / 65.

I want to know if there's any way to accurately check the readings on my gauge without expensive tools?
Before anyone asks, I did check to make sure all the fittings were tightly sealed and there were no leaks, good thing about the grom is there spark plug hole is easily accessible and out in the open, so I was able to feel for any escaping air which there wasn't...

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,678 Posts
Your compression tester uses a Schrader Valve, like what's used in tires.
Make sure it's seated properly, tight etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have had the same trouble before, one gauge (a Mac,a high dollar one)
It read everything high, like over 300.
And one I had read everything low,60 to 70 psi. I went and got another one, it read in between the other ones. That is the one in that pic.
Hope this helps you!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts