Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a gixxer - but this shouldn't be a gixxer-specific question.

When my buddy's 600cc Kaw starts up, it immediately jumps to about 3,000 RPM. Then, after about 3-5 seconds, the idle drops down to normal.

The bike does the exact same thing (completely warmed up) at every stop light.

Any ideas on what to look for? The throttle cable/plates don't appear to be sticking. And other than that, the bike seems to run fine. It might be a little hesitant below 4K or so, but this could just be from me not being familiar with the bike.

Thanks in advance!!!!!11

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sounds like it is rich on the idle. Try to resync the carbs and see if that helps.. If not then he might just be to rich on the pilots..

Could also be a air leak.. Did it start out of the blue?

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Sounds like it is rich on the idle. Try to resync the carbs and see if that helps.. If not then he might just be to rich on the pilots..

Could also be a air leak.. Did it start out of the blue?

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks John... I'll start looking at those possibilites.

Unfortunately, I don't know the history of the bike. The owner just got it registered, and until recently, hasn't been riding it much at all.

If it is rich, pulling the air cleaner (temporarily) should make it better, right? (for diagnostic purposes)?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Pulling the air filter might help... But like with my bike... I was syncing the TBs and I closed them to much on one TB, it would do this.. not as bad but the idle would SLOWly come down... I opened that one TB back up and it is great.

Also, if it has been sitting for some time it might need to have the carbs cleaned.

John

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
i hate carby probs .. my gixxer started running rough halfway around Philip Island track on Monday, called it a day, as i had to ride home (130km;s), pulled all the plugs, none of them look like the cylinders are running lean, they only have 2500km's on them but there 8 months old, gonna see if a new set of plugs will help (tried some carb/injection cleaner, no change), if that dont work, off to the mechanic to pull the carbs apart

·
Registered
5 Posts
starting basic,try adjusting your idle adjustment.i was out all nite once and it happened to me,somehow the adjustment screw got knocked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts