Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if you can separate the actual headlight form the headlight assempbly, so as to replace the headlight if it is cracked. i can get a headlight that is not cracked, and was wodnering if i could take apaprt my assembly to use the uncracked headlight.

another question is, my bike started sputterring all of the sudden. i think it may be the plugs. when i started it up today, it was sputtering a bit. i rode it around for a little while and the sputtering does not go away. it continues through accelleration and is constant. wondering if its not the plugs, then what else could the problem be?

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
plugs

vaccuum leak (check all hose connections to airbox and elsewhere)

bad gas?

clogged fuel filter (prob not).

what is mileage and how hard is the bike ridden?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bike had 14k miles and ive never taken it past 10k rmps. i dont ride it haard at all, only occasionally trying the wheelie at a stoplight.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
my manual show it as an assembly..but it should beable to come apart...also, you should be on your 3rd set of plugs by now, and maybe your 2nd air filter...at 16k get your valves adjusted by a pro, not the dealer..good luck..

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Originally posted by Trung:
wondering if you can separate the actual headlight form the headlight assempbly, so as to replace the headlight if it is cracked. i can get a headlight that is not cracked, and was wodnering if i could take apaprt my assembly to use the uncracked headlight.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't understand what you mean. What part is cracked? The lens? The bulb?
Most likely you'll have to replace it. One of the tabs broke off on mine, and I epoxied it back on and it kept re-breaking, I finally broke down and bought a new one from Ron Ayers for around $200.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
For your problem, I would check your plugs and your air filter.

Did it start out of the blue? Or did it start to run like crap and just get worse?

John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
started out of the blue. everything ran great the day before, then i started it up the next day, and it was bogging bad. sputterring through all rpm's.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
the lens is cracked on the outside.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think you will be able to replace it then. Unless you are really good at working with plastic. Let me take a look at my old one when I get home, and I'll see if I can think of a way to replace it.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
started out of the blue. everything ran great the day before, then i started it up the next day, and it was bogging bad. sputterring through all rpm's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bet it sounds like you have it running a 3 cyls right??

It took us for ever to figure out what the problem was with mine... But do you know how to check your cam timming?

It sounds like the CCT went soft and let the chain jump a tooth... It normaly happens when you shut the bike off... so it works fine when you turn it off but when you start back up... It runs like crap...

John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, thats, exactly what it feels and sounds like. loss of power everywhere like i was missing a cylinder or something. what can i do if that is the case?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all hoses hooked up.
replaced the plugs and airfilter. runs great. i think it was the plugs. they were pretty black when i pulled them. thanks for all the quick suggestions and info. im just glad it was a simple thing.
This is by far the best board i have ever been on. lots of good, accurate, and quick info. thanks guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
all hoses hooked up.
replaced the plugs and airfilter. runs great. i think it was the plugs. they were pretty black when i pulled them. thanks for all the quick suggestions and info. im just glad it was a simple thing.
This is by far the best board i have ever been on. lots of good, accurate, and quick info. thanks guys
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by ukgeoff:

I had the same headlight problem with my '96 750,take the headlight unit out of the fairing and use a hot hair gun to soften the seal around the lens/reflector area, after a short time the glass lens will seperate from the reflector. Reverse the procedure using the good lens and leave to cool/set. Worked for me and i saved more than £100 (140 dollars).

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
first thing, lift your tank and check all the connections to the airbox (hoses).

you can start from there because if its the CCT you should order the manual tensioner from APE, and replace the CCT

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
FYI there is a vacum hose on the back side of the air box, and if that is not hooked up it will do this as well...

Check it first like JP said.

John

[ 05-16-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: GSXR-Freak ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts