Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Tech Day\"

On Sunday www.dcsportbikes.com and www.dcsportbikes.net ran a "Tech Day" at my house in Woodbrige, VA.

I had a blast and recommend it to all the other clubs out there.

We are a pretty big group, so we are fortunate enough to have several VERY talented folks (including professional bike mechanics). These people made it all happen by volunteering their technical expertise to the rest of us. All I did is make Chilli and draw some lines in my driveway (LOL).

We did everything from "general go-over's" to tire changes ... installed dampers ... undertails ... oil changes ... electrical probs ... diagnosed the need for new piston rings ...

Truly good stuff.

We saved our folks a bunch of money and TAUGHT a lot of people good stuff.

... we even web-cast it so that people that had to work on Sunday could watch us on the Internet and suffer (LOL).

Here's a video link:

http://home.comcast.net/~tflanders3/TechDay.wmv

Here's our checklist (which might help you if you wanna run your own):

http://flandersland.tzo.com/bike/MagicRat/Manuals/BasicTechDayChecks.doc

Special thanks to TommyTheCat, Lunchmeat, SteelRain, ZRX4ME (from www.stlar.com) ... and many others.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: \"Tech Day\"

That is a great vid, and a great idea.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Very awesome Rat. You definatly think outside the box when it comes to helping other riders out and education, my hats off to ya bro, I will definatly think about doing something like that when I get into my new house next month. also do you have a list of supplies that someone might need on hand. (tool wise and comfort for the guest)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Very awesome Rat. You definatly think outside the box when it comes to helping other riders out and education, my hats off to ya bro, I will definatly think about doing something like that when I get into my new house next month. also do you have a list of supplies that someone might need on hand. (tool wise and comfort for the guest)
Ah, yes. Lets see:

I had enough room in my driveway for 12 bikes ... so I chalked them off and made a post on my board for first come - first serve. People had to sign up ahead of time, but anybody could come to watch and eat Chilli & hot-dogs. We got about 50 people, overall.

- 48 hot dogs
- 48 buns
- 5 cases of soda
- paper plates, napkins, spoons, bowls, condiments
- 2 big bags of chips.
- A coupld people brought stuff, too ... (deviled eggs, crab cakes, etc ... was yummy).

For set-up:

- 6 ea 5 gallon pails as dump stations for oil
- 12 ea small disposable tupper-ware containers for people to put bolts in
- 6 rolls of paper towels
- 12 ea disposable paper funnels (I got for free from the gas station down the street)
- 3 ea bottles of orange degreasing cleaner spray
- 1 roll painters tape (for taping lights to get ready for track
- 1 bottle hand cleaner
- 1 garden hose
- 1 bundle rags
- 6 ea old blankets to put fairings on
- 1 can WD 40
- 6 ea plastic pans to drain oil into (I got at the dollar store)

Tools:

- I rounded up 12 sets of metric allen wrenches
- I rounded up 12 sets of metric 3/8 inch socket sets
- Had everybody that had stands bring them over the night before ... and rounded up some extras for those that didn't have them.
- I got an electronic service manual for every kind of bike that was coming (save 2 that I could not find).
- Had a computer with Internet access in the garage to look stuff up.
- People had to bring their own parts, oil, filters, etc. We posted this about 1.5 months out ... so there was plenty of cross-talk on the board about what would be needed.
- All of my tools (which is one of pretty much one of everything you would find in a middle-aged guy's garage ... LOL ... screwdrivers, drills, dremel, grinder, air tools, etc.)
- The "talented guys" (that did the real work) brought all the "special" tools ... like brake bleaders, home made tire changing rigs, torque wrenches, and all their super secret gear. There were 4 of them ... and they really made this happen. I just took the burden of the mundane stuff off of them.

That's about it.

It prolly cost me $150 to do all this ... but to have the dealer to all the work I got done would have been over $300 ... and it was way more fun ... and most important, I learned a ton.

Everyone of my tools not only didn't disappear ... but got put back exactly where it came from. It was just super.

We gave a little safety talk at the begining about "nobody is liable" ... "we are just helping each other" ... "check each other's work" ... " don't knock over somebody elses bike" ... and "if something bad happens ... you gotta suck it up."

There were no incidents at all.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

WOW! thank you very much Magic-Rat, I am gonna save that and bring the idea up to a couple of freinds and try to set one of these up. Do you do this just once a year usually or when people start showing interest again? Once again thanks bro and congrats to a succesful event.

John

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

WOW! thank you very much Magic-Rat, I am gonna save that and bring the idea up to a couple of freinds and try to set one of these up. Do you do this just once a year usually or when people start showing interest again? Once again thanks bro and congrats to a succesful event.

John
This was the first one ... and it wasn't my idea ... I just offerred to host it.

I think the plan will be to try and do 2 a year ... one at the beginning of the season and one in early August.

·
Registered
251 Posts

John
+1 great idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts