Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Targa body work on their bike? If so, what do you think off it?
I need all new body work and came across their product in the Oct 01 issue of Sport Rider mag. So I looked up Targa's website.
The panels are all fiberglass predrilled and braced,they come ready to paint. Prices are'nt to bad, about $600 for the complete fairing. Any input on this product?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's for a sreet bike Jeff. I bought a upper and the mids from Mair U.S.A. talk about a piece of shit. They are already broken. I had to pull the mids off so I would'nt lose my mounting screws. The upper is breaking also where the windscreen bolts on.
I know the OEM would be the best way to go, but expensive. How about Airtech? I don't know of any other aftermarket suppliers but I'm sure open to any suggestions.
Thanks again Jeff

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i've used their plastic bodywork before.....not very impressive. quality is so-so, the predrilled holes don't always line up right.....not nearly good as the oem suzuki stuff, but then again, it didn't cost nearly as much, either. not sure how their fiberglass would compare - although i've tried lockhart fiberglass before and it was crap....and in general, targa and lockhart are about on par with each other in terms of quality. just to give you a bit of perspective on how they'd compare with the more well known fiberglass bodywork suppliers.

is this for a streetbike or a racebike? if it's for a racebike, there are lots of other better alternatives.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
airtech, as fiberglass bodywork goes, isn't very good....it's very stiff and will crack if stressed.

sharkskinz are also fiberglass, but they use a flexible resin....you can bend them in half and they'll spring right back into place with no damage. a lot of racers use them because of their resiliency.

unfortunately, sharkskinz don't come predrilled (might be a good thing anyway), they're more expensive than airtech, and i don't believe they come in street versions....meaning you'd have to cut the headlight openings yourself.

that's the only redeeming quality about airtech - they sell many different styles including street, so that reduces the amount of work you'll need to do.

·
Registered
398 Posts
we have used alot and all have good/bad items. Sharkskin is good..not alot of bikes offered..and if you dump it..throw it away cause the gel coat makes life hell. e have had alot of good luck with Mair 85-87 GSXR plastic, but might be luck of the draw.Airtech makes some great stuff and half comes lookin great, half comes like ass and I spend hours sandin and preppin. I use and perfer airtech for the options, availiblity, prices, and general condition..but nothin beats OEM if ya got DEEP pockets..

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used one of their stock replacement fiberglass uppers for my 92 and was not impressed. While it is pre-drilled and such the mounting for the headlight was really cheezy and the fit around the headlight assembly was really bad. If you want your bike to look like a stock bike there is really no good alternative to factory OEM, even repaired stuff. A good body guy with a plastic welder can fix almost anything, usually for cheaper than aftermarket fiberglass, and the fit will be far superior. Skarkskins are great stuff, but all their stuff is race glass without light cutouts and mounting. Unless you're going for a custom light setup adapting their race stuff to stock lights would be really tough.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts