Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid question: how do i remove that annoying sticker off the tank, that has the safety on it..., without damaging or scratching the paint?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Heat the stickers up with a blow dryer and peel them off. They both have a clear sticker that covers them. Then use WD-40 to clean the glue off. There are several posts about this just use the search feature.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by MoviStar79:
stupid question: how do i remove that annoying sticker off the tank, that has the safety on it..., without damaging or scratching the paint?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can use an angle grinder if you are really careful. Just make sure that the grinder only touches the sticker and not the paint on the tank. Some people prefer to use a belt sander using this method but I have always found that an angle grinder works best.

I think you can also but a product now called "Safety Sticker Removal Acid" which actually dissolves the whole sticker as well as then glue on the backing but I am not sure where you can buy it from.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I soaked it in gasoline to soften it up and then I used a lighter to curl one of the corners cause they're hard to peel.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by BYOCOM:
I soaked it in gasoline to soften it up and then I used a lighter to curl one of the corners cause they're hard to peel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was told that when you used that method the gasoline had a tendency to blacken the paint slightly around the edge of the sticker. Did you get that problem or is that information wrong?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Woodster:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BYOCOM:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was told that when you used that method the gasoline had a tendency to blacken the paint slightly around the edge of the sticker. Did you get that problem or is that information wrong?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I found that using more gas usually helps to even it out, also it might be a good idea to fill your tank first and leave it open

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by BYOCOM:
I found that using more gas usually helps to even it out, also it might be a good idea to fill your tank first and leave it open
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That makes sense so on the rare occasion that the paint does get disoloured at least it spread over a much wider area so it would be barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I JUST USED A PAINT SCRAPER

USELESS STICKERS

·
Registered
48 Posts
Use an impact wrench and a screw driver, that works every time. You could also put your tank in the fax machine and fax it to yourself but edit out the sticker before you fax it. My blonde sexretary does it all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the suggestions, they really worked. Just for further questions about this issue, the grinder worked the best, it was a little slow so i tried the gas/fire method, very creative, engenius method. It doesn't just clean that sticker off but also gives you custom graphics,..my eyebrows were bothering me anyway..

·
Registered
767 Posts
what i did was heat it up, peel it off and use the sticker to take the sticky stuff off, just keep putting the sticker on the tank and taking it off untill the sticky stuff is gone then there will be a little outline of where the sticker was and all i did was use rubbing alcohol and clean that stuff right off

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by MoviStar79:
thanks for the suggestions, they really worked. Just for further questions about this issue, the grinder worked the best, it was a little slow so i tried the gas/fire method, very creative, engenius method. It doesn't just clean that sticker off but also gives you custom graphics,..my eyebrows were bothering me anyway..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad to help out. It is also good to hear that the eyebrows were sorted out as well. I thought that I was just lucky when my eyebrows got tidied up as well but it seems that this is just an added bonus of this method of removing the sticker. I extended the custom graphics on my bike by using the same method to remove the decals from the fairing and also removing the compliance plate from the frame.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I had trouble with all of the above, I am not very smart, so what I did was take the tank off, put a jerry can on there and used crayons to colour it in the right colours, bonus is that it is flatter on top (bit wider tho) and you can use it on a mates bike if you are not riding yours.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by gsxrboy:
I had trouble with all of the above, I am not very smart, so what I did was take the tank off, put a jerry can on there and used crayons to colour it in the right colours, bonus is that it is flatter on top (bit wider tho) and you can use it on a mates bike if you are not riding yours.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That method of course does have the added advantage of being able to remove the new fuel tank (jerry can) when you run out of petrol. That is very handy because it means you don't have to worry too much about recalibrating the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Originally posted by GSX-Rider:
what i did was heat it up, peel it off and use the sticker to take the sticky stuff off, just keep putting the sticker on the tank and taking it off untill the sticky stuff is gone then there will be a little outline of where the sticker was and all i did was use rubbing alcohol and clean that stuff right off
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
thats not funny, rubbing alcohol could do some serious damage in inexperienced hands, take it to a bike shop and tell the mechanic to do it, hey $50.00 in labor or a new tank you decide

[ 10-16-2002, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: XxslipstreamxX ]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used an Ice pick and a 15 pound sledge hammer. Got that baby right off. PLUS I now have 2 holes in my gas tank where I can fill it up twice as fast. Woohoo! Anything to save time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by Woodster:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BYOCOM:
I found that using more gas usually helps to even it out, also it might be a good idea to fill your tank first and leave it open
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That makes sense so on the rare occasion that the paint does get disoloured at least it spread over a much wider area so it would be barely noticeable.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The discoloration is caused by low octane fuel. Use 91 octane for best results.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by BW762:
The discoloration is caused by low octane fuel. Use 91 octane for best results.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does this mean that avgas beig a higher octane it could actually add more colour to the bike using this method?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts