Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 1100 (canadian) that has seen some damage and been repainted.......the tank's fuel tap hits the cylinder head and it leaking, so my question is: "might i have the wrong tank on here?" do other years or sizes have different taps or tanks? can i change just the tap? or will i need to swap the whole tank?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Well, the only tanks that will "properly" fit are from 85, 86, 87 -750 tanks and 85, 86, 87, 88 -1100 tanks, Keep in mind the 1100 motor is a little taller than the 750 motor(I don't know the distance).

One thing that has annoyed me about the petcock is it seems fragile. The knob for the fuel position is long enough to be a nice lever to torque the base of the petcock as it passes into the bottom of the tank and cause a leak.

If it were me I would do one of two things after draining the tank...

Check the area the petcock mounts to. It it is buckled it might be possible to flatten the mounting area and put the petcock back on. If not then on to step two...

Take it to a Radiator/gas tank repair shop. Have them look at it. It might be possible to cut out that corner of metal and have a thicker piece of sheet steel into that spot. Then the petcock could b erefitted to the new plate after the proper holes are made.

Oh, another option would be to get a Pingle Petcock. I think the mounting plate/adaptor plate for those are larger and thicker and offer better support to the tank.

GIve me a PM about any other modifications you might be intending...I might be able to save you time and some head pounding.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
i just got a piece of stock in a rectangle shape to cover the mounting holes, drilled and tapped for a petcock and slid it down a bit on the tank to clear the head then had it welded on, presto no more interference and no more leaks!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
im in toward the end of mymods on my 86 1100. i put 93 1100 forks, 94 rims/rotors/brakes and a 95 750 braced swingarm (pain in my ass, but it looks cool) the forks/rims..........piece of cake, the swing arm.......like i said, complete pain in the ass. thanks to mr gixxer and doug, i am almost through the project. i am still going to have to modify the battery box and put a smaller battery in , because it hits the top of the swingarm. it should look cool when it all finished. i have most of the dealer's parts guys in my area bugging me to see it when it is all done. let me know if you have any questions. ebay is a great place to buy parts. remember one thing....if you arre going to start swapping parts, when you buy the new ones make sure they are complete (ie, complete forks). it may cost a little more, but it is cheaper in the long run and definately less of a headache.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's not just touching, it's crammed into the motor, was the 85-88 750 tank different? i remember hearing something about this.......it does fit, but my tank sits 3/4" to the right....grrrr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts