Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of the 2001-2002 gsxr1000, aesthetically they do it for me. And now that I want a street bike again, I'm casually shopping for one. But a clean low-miler first-gen 1000 is only marginally cheaper than that same bike that's a 2003-2004, and those are only marginally cheaper than that same 2005-2006 specimen, at least here on the west coast of US. I know each generation improved a bit(brakes, forks, ecm), and that the 2005 has more motor, right? But which one best fits a guy who is 6'3"? I get the impression that they kept getting more cramped, is that correct? I'm fairly experienced, have roadraced a bit, decent dirt bike rider, blah blah blah, so I'm not naive enough to get into what I call a 'sales brochure pissing match' over model year changes. Which bike is roomiest?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have owned the 01-04 and 07 1k models and found the 04 the most comffy. If ya can find a good 05-06 in good shape and fits yer price then go for it. I am also in the 6' + range.

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW, I'm 6'2" 230lbs (fairly lean) and currently own a K7, which I imagine is quite similar to the K5/6. Before I got the K7 I tried a K3/4, but found it less comfortable than the K7. I didn't care much for the wider tank of the earlier model, and felt I ended up with more weight on my wrists. Probably because the shape of the tank made it more difficult for me to grip with my legs. I would definitely recommend a few test rides before making a decision. At least have a good sit on them to see how they feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts