Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question are the 08 1000 motors stronger than the 15s? I was told by someone that a 08 can make up to 250hp on motor alone. If this is true I need to sell an step back a few years.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Sure, if you dump thousands into stroking the engine, porting the heads, and buying cams. I think cams+head work for each model will result in the 2015 making more than the 2008, but the block on the 2008 may support more once you go past that.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
250 horses, all motor? :blink

I've never heard of such a bike, unless you're in motogp. I'll bet you can buy a decent starter home with what teams spend on one of those motors.

·
Administrator
13,297 Posts
08 has a stronger bottom end , if your talking those power figures it will be some type of forced induction.

·
Administrator
13,297 Posts
Going off what OG has told me , and he is the man when it comes to modded gsxr’s , the 08 has a more robust bottom end than the newer stuff.

The k3/4 was even better again ... k5/6 are good too but no quite as good

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I speculate that may be due to weight reduction and efficiency purposes. But I wonder if they are using the same or stronger materials. But again, it doesn't seem cost-efficient or necessary to push out a product capable of standing up against that amount of horsepower when 99% of the bikes will never be introduced to forced induction.

·
Administrator
13,297 Posts
I speculate that may be due to weight reduction and efficiency purposes. But I wonder if they are using the same or stronger materials. But again, it doesn't seem cost-efficient or necessary to push out a product capable of standing up against that amount of horsepower when 99% of the bikes will never be introduced to forced induction.
I’m guessing the block itself is thicker/stronger ...

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
I have a question are the 08 1000 motors stronger than the 15s? I was told by someone that a 08 can make up to 250hp on motor alone. If this is true I need to sell an step back a few years.
You heard incorrectly, for the most part. If you want 250hp out of an 08, you're talking 40% more power. Jesus.

Are you talking throwing 5 figures at a motor and going for max power? How often do you want to rebuild? Those numbers, plan on every event.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,806 Posts
I was told by someone that a 08 can make up to 250hp on motor alone.
Was he doing 200mph on his cousin's neighbor's Katana 600 at the time? :lmao

Only 1000cc bikes making 250hp on all motor are MotoGP bikes......WSBK's might creep close to it maybe 240-something on the high side from the new Panigale V4R's that Bautista and Davies are racing, but I don't think they are quite cracking 250hp. Supposedly current year MotoGP bikes are cracking ~300hp now.

.....but 10 years ago, even in top level World Superbike-spec the 08 GSXR's were not making anywhere close to 250hp on all motor

Even with the motor punched out to 1143cc's it's not making 250hp on motor alone
https://www.kwsmotorsports.com/s1000.htm

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the magic sauce to get more horsepower.

Move your peak horsepower to the right. So if its at 12,5k or 12,75k, move it about 1k to the right. Net result is 13,5k.

You need at least 2.5 points of compression more, 15 degrees more of total duration on the intake cam, and a little more lift.

You need to shorten your throttle bodies for a reduced intake length tract. Reduce your first step on your primary exhaust tube.

Reshape the intake port, BUTTT!!! DO NOT MAKE it BIGGER.

Tighten up squish.

And Voila!!

Any modern engine producing more horsepower with the same CC's is by more compression and duration. Of course engine drivetrain like rods have to withstand more stretch, hence the shorter stroke longer rod combos now. Better valve train, and with bigger bore less stroke you can fit bigger valves which equals less lift and in turn allow taller pistons for more compression.

Manufacturers are not asleep and can produce factory liter bikes well over 200 hp, but cost is the primary deterent.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Uhh, no.......Have to be on N20. No other way!! Big bore stroker like someone said above? Possibility but it wouldn't be street reliable!! A friend of mine had a K8 with K1-K2 block with 5mm bore a 6mm crank. Fast as shit but blew up 5 times bc he rode it on the street. Our old 3x4 and a 5x4 never blew up and thats all we did was street ride and street race.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,387 Posts
I heard that the oiling circuit on the 09 was insufficient and would burn up one end of the crank bearings. I have zero proof of that.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Reshape the intake port, BUTTT!!! DO NOT MAKE it BIGGER.

Tighten up squish.

And Voila!!

Any modern engine producing more horsepower with the same CC's is by more compression and duration. Of course engine drivetrain like rods have to withstand more stretch, hence the shorter stroke longer rod combos now. Better valve train, and with bigger bore less stroke you can fit bigger valves which equals less lift and in turn allow taller pistons for more compression.

Manufacturers are not asleep and can produce factory liter bikes well over 200 hp, but cost is the primary deterent.
Correct!! Epoxy the ports for increased velocity!! Hogging the ports just makes a sluggish bike.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I heard that the oiling circuit on the 09 was insufficient and would burn up one end of the crank bearings. I have zero proof of that.
There was a crank issue with with the K9's. Not exactly sure what the issue was but there was one with that particular year model. Machine the oil bypass valve for more pressure. Mine idles at 35psi the at 4K rpm up it a litte over 100psi. Never had any type of engine failure with that mode. Did 2 rebuilds and crank journal looked immaculate with hardly any scuff or wear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts