Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Brand new to the site and to the sport bike scene. I have been riding my whole life pretty much. Now I ride an RMZ250F and an 01 Road King Classic. I have been looking to break into the sport bike scene or a little while now and decided to take on a rebuild so that I wouldn't have to break the bank to do so. I found a 97 gsxr600 SRAD at an impound lot for 350, got it for 200. I figured it has new basically tires on it and mechanically the important stuff seemed to be in pretty decent shape. The front fork has some pretty decent damage and the plastics on the side it went down are not too pretty but buying some used parts and making some if I have to I plan to get it back on the road and clean it up pretty nice. I plan to post my progress along the way in a rebuild/project thread.

A little more about me I suppose, I am a mechanical engineer, and have a small machine/fab/job shop that I am building. Currently a Bridgeport J-Head, cadillac lathe, bandsaw, couple grinders, belt sanders, propane forge, tig welder, oxy/Ace torch, and a couple other odds and ends along with some inspection equipment. Making stuff and more importantly having the capability to fix or make most things is a passion of mine, I like working with my hands and making the right chips in metal to craft a part out of the raw stock.

I look forward to getting the bike on the road and keeping a progress log of how the rebuild goes and all the inevitable problems I am bound to run into!
Cheers,
-Joe

·
17,009 Posts
Hey all,

Brand new to the site and to the sport bike scene. I have been riding my whole life pretty much. Now I ride an RMZ250F and an 01 Road King Classic. I have been looking to break into the sport bike scene or a little while now and decided to take on a rebuild so that I wouldn't have to break the bank to do so. I found a 97 gsxr600 SRAD at an impound lot for 350, got it for 200. I figured it has new basically tires on it and mechanically the important stuff seemed to be in pretty decent shape. The front fork has some pretty decent damage and the plastics on the side it went down are not too pretty but buying some used parts and making some if I have to I plan to get it back on the road and clean it up pretty nice. I plan to post my progress along the way in a rebuild/project thread.

A little more about me I suppose, I am a mechanical engineer, and have a small machine/fab/job shop that I am building. Currently a Bridgeport J-Head, cadillac lathe, bandsaw, couple grinders, belt sanders, propane forge, tig welder, oxy/Ace torch, and a couple other odds and ends along with some inspection equipment. Making stuff and more importantly having the capability to fix or make most things is a passion of mine, I like working with my hands and making the right chips in metal to craft a part out of the raw stock.

I look forward to getting the bike on the road and keeping a progress log of how the rebuild goes and all the inevitable problems I am bound to run into!
Cheers,
-Joe
View attachment 568679

Welcome Joe!
Good luck with the rebuild.

:cheers

·
Registered
285 Posts
If the bike in the picture is your project, that looks more like a katana 600. (88-96)
Had a 91 myself, so very familiar with that profile. :D
Welcome aboard!
Keep us posted on the progress!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the bike in the picture is your project, that looks more like a katana 600. (88-96)
Had a 91 myself, so very familiar with that profile. :D
Welcome aboard!
Keep us posted on the progress!!
I do like the older Katanas, but from the VIN it came up as a 97 GSXR600 SRAD....I hope that's right or the parts I ordered wont fit! 😬

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some may, but that's an F model. Katana
Whats the vin off the neck?
Uh oh, would the forks be the same? I ordered a fork and bar taken off a 97 GSXR600

The VIN is JS1GN78A3W2100171

The fork is bent pretty good, But I looked at the Paint and weld seams on the front of the frame and the Downtube and I didnt see any cracking or what looked to be deformations. It could be slight But I wont really be able to diagnose that until I get a straight fork in there and can measure rake, lead and trail angles. If it does need to be straightened or tweaked I was planning on trying to rig something up to pull it true, or worst comes to worst swapping the frame or cutting and re-welding/reinforcing.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yea...i'd figure out if you have a bent stolen Katana , before dreaming about bending the frame. Lol. Vin came back Gsx-R for me as well.
It is not. Gsx-F
Id cut my losses .You're only down a couple hundred for a heavy old underpowered, carbed, bent bike........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea...i'd figure out if you have a bent stolen Katana , before dreaming about bending the frame. Lol. Vin came back Gsx-R for me as well.
It is not. Gsx-F
Id cut my losses .You're only down a couple hundred for a heavy old underpowered, carbed, bent bike........
Before picking it up I ran the VIN with the local and state PD and neither said it came up stolen, so I am pretty sure it isn't stolen. So why do you think the VIN comes up as a Gsx-R if it looks like a katana? Out of curiosity what says katana about it as opposed to R? Also whats so bad about the carbs? I know they are a pain to tune lol but everything I own accept my Harley is carbed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea. that vin is clear.....but it is for a different bike. View attachment 568687
That's a good point, is there any other way to identify what the real VIN might be?

There was a previous registration under the seat. I Will try to contact the person on it and get the story of what happened, I don't want to be messing with a stolen bike. I didn't even think to compare the VIN on the reg I found to the VIN on the Bike...Ill do that as soon as I get home from work today.

I appreciate the insight and the warning. I will get back to this post with what I find out.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The vin on the neck look fishy at all?
Not sure you're next step. Prob involves having a chat where you bought it. Receiving stolen property is a nono by accident even, and you def do not want any of that while trying to grow a business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will give it a much closer inspection when I get home today. Yeah I definitely don't want to be messing with stolen property so I will get to the bottom of this ASAP. I have the two photos he sent me before I went down to pick it up

That's also the number that matches the VIN on the previous reg. JS1GN72A8V2100304. Which is the number I meant to send in the first message. The first number was from a different bike I was looking at, I opened the wrong message thread.

In the photos tho now that I look at them alittle closer it looks like that plate is on the fairing? Which doesn't make any sense....Right? because shouldn't it be parallel with the forks?

·
Registered
285 Posts
That 2nd VIN shows up as a 1997 GSX600F (Katana).
While you are checking things, check the tank for rust inside... Super common issue with those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright guys, so I looked at the numbers actually stamped into the downtube and they match the numbers on the plate which match the numbers on the registration. I called the local PD and they ran those numbers and said it is not reported as stolen.

So it looks like I picked up a 97 katana 600 that might be bent. breaking into it alittle further it doesnt look like there was any damage that went past the fork and bars. It looks to me like it might have gotten backed into and the bike rolled and the fork took the brunt of it. I think the fork being able to pivot allowed it to take all the force of the bending and didnt transfer enough into the headset to bend it or the frame immediately behind it.

Lastly, do you guys have any suggestions on which thread to post the rebuild log in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts