Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips on getting the forks apart? I know my brother tried getting his 97 forks apart a couple years ago and had a hell of a time even with an impact gun. They are making some noise and could probably go for an oil change. I was thinking about doing some upgrades on them also, but I don't know much about what to do with them. (springs, emulators) I assume the emulators just change the dampening. If anyone has a site with information, parts, prices, etc. let me know. Im in school so cash is kind of low, this is why I wanted to do this myself and not send the stuff out. I know GSXR-Freak does suspension work, this is why I included your name in there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just seen the section in tips/tricks, but any info/sites on upgrades?? I know next to nothing about front/rear suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea with that post that I did... The pics are hosted on the gixxer.com server and for some reason you dont see them unless you copy and paste the link into a new window...

It should have everything you need to know about oil and spring change...

I would not get the emulators untill you try just the springs first... They are still really smooth.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea but now you dont have to ask..

John

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, where is the best place to buy some stiffer springs. I imagine if the seals aren't leaking then then I can re-use them right?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Ones you remove the seals I would replace them.. I have yet to try and reuse them, but since you have them out it wouldnt hurt to get new ones...

As for springs I should be able to get you a set of nice springs (new in the box) for about 50 + shipping.. PM for more info.

John

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, thanks for the help. I haven't messed with my bike yet, but I'll be sure to hit you up if I get the forks apart. See we have this thing in Ohio called winter, and along with it comes snow and ice. So I have lots-o-time to be messing with everything. How do you decide which springs?? By weight??

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Man that winter thing must suck... lol

Yea you do springs by how much you wiegh...

John

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
definately spend the cash and get new seals, if not im sure you will regret it as you will be soon going threw all that drama all over again to change them. John (gsxr-freak) and i changed my seals and fork springs and it made a world of diffrence. (race-tech springs)

BTW John..i found that creeking noise..it was a loose motor mount bolt.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Pimpin My Gixxer:
definately spend the cash and get new seals, if not im sure you will regret it as you will be soon going threw all that drama all over again to change them. John (gsxr-freak) and i changed my seals and fork springs and it made a world of diffrence. (race-tech springs)

BTW John..i found that creeking noise..it was a loose motor mount bolt.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Creaking noise?? Was it when you compress the forks?? That is what I am getting but it definetly sounds like it is coming from the forks, maybe I should take another look.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
His noise was from a frame to motor mount that was loose..

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
I followed some advice and upgraded my 00 600 springs .85kg and fluid to 50/50 10# and 15# fluid (about 12.5# now).

Ive yet to ride it at the track, But just from dicking around with the fork legs while off the bike, I was able to back my compression and rebound both out some to get the same speed of movement as stock.

Seems like it should work great at the track and save me $100 on gold valves.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I would stay with the stock 5W oil in the bike... If you slow it down to much you will affect the bike acts when you travel at high speeds..

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
Stock fork oil on my 2000 GSXR600 was #10, as I think it is for most bikes. My mixture upgrade created approx #12.5 oil. Not much heavier, but enough to compensate for my weak stock compression valving.

#5 wt is generally used with revalved forks, mine have stock valves and compression shims, only different springs. Heavy oil just allowed me to back my adjustments out a tad, and achieve the same effect as the stock oil turned in more. So when I need more compression I have it available. Racetech even said it should be fine.

Ill find out April 5 for sure!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well your rebound might end up being to slow... Just something to look for..

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well its a comprimise vs spending the $120 on the valving kit. Other racers and Racetech said I should be straight.

When I gey my new racebike I do plan to revalve and use #5 to get that real high speed movement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts