Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal....I can get a full set of Bridgestone BT010's with less than 100 miles on them for 160 shipped..great deal. But he only has a 190 rear, I am riding a 97'Gixxer 600 which comes with a 180 stock size. I would classify myself as a semi newbie, I dont do any track days and I am not close to knee draggin. Most of my riding is done on the "pussy" patch in the middle of the tire for now and I am wondering if this great deal is worth it...I am thinking "yes" do to my riding style right now and the fact that am not pushing the turns to hard to warrant Needing the quicker turn-in that the 180 has vs. the 190....what do you all think?

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
even the above average canyon carver isnt going to notice the difference between the 190/180..as long as it fits go for it..

all the liter bikes come with 190s so ...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
NO !

The 600 rim is narrower than the 750's the 190 is simply too wide, and the resulting profile will be horrible, and kill the confidence that you have in the process.....

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
this may sound biased,
but never exceed the manufacturers specs on tires unless you change the rim too. With an oversized (in width) tire you will alter the tires profile as it sits on the rim and therefor change the handling/riding characteristics of the bike. your bike will be definately slower on the fly - thats for sure.
i would love that deal though - will you pass it on to me??? it would be much appreciated as the time has come for me to do the deal (back at least)
im serious about all ive just typed bro - caution here!!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
your rim is 5 1/2 inch. and 750 rim 190 section tyre is 6". dont do it my friend. very very bad

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
i beg to differ even a novice will notice the differance between a 190 and 180 the turn in is alot nuch tighter and easier on a 180

·
Registered
582 Posts
Im running a 190 on the rear and have a front cupped tire..and i do not like it..im getting new tires in 2 weeks..i already ordered the pilot sports 180/70/17 with a 120/??/17 on front..i cant wait..i would avoid the 190. my bike came like that when i bought it too.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
DIVIN6.. i read some where that it would take a pro racer, someone that really gets it layed over to notice the dif..if i can find the article, ill pass it on to you..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard alot of different opinions.....alot of people have said that unless I am a hardcore racer and really take the turns hard that I will barely notice the difference. Others have said just the opposite..."dont do it! it will totally mess up the handling and it is dangerous"...what the hell do I do? I am still thinking I should go for it...if I dont like it I can take it off and still sell it with less than 150 miles on it...

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I put a 190 on the back of my 600 and I didn't have any problems out of it other than of fast it turned in but it will fit on the 5 1/2 rim.

James

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas, I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the tire. I'm getting a good deal and I can always sell it if I dont like the way it feels...It has less than 100 miles on it now, I could put 50 miles on it and still get a decent price on it...thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts