Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trading my CBR 125 for a 1999 GSX-R 600.

The previous owner drained the synthetic oil out and put in normal oil without flushing it. It has only been driven about one kilometer since.

What would the best course of action be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.

Now let's say I want to remove the new conventional and replace it with synthetic?

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts

not everyone lives in america.

i would really like a cbr250rr :bounce but they are super rare here since they have to be imported.

·
What? I have 3 testicles?
1,575 Posts
Only difference is the molecules are smaller on synthetic oil, so if you have a high mileage engine, the likelihood of the synthetic "finding" leak spots is greater than conventional oil. At least that's what I heard years ago. Maybe different now.

I used synth in my former turbo car because if it is shut down before the turbo has a chance to cool, the oil can "coke" up on the turbo bearings causing a varnish to form, and early failure. Synth oil wont "coke" up, it turns to ash when cooked like that. So, longer life turbo. But even with synth oil I still used a Turbo Timer to shut the car down automatically.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
The old "you can't go back and forth" thing is a wive's tale. You can switch back and forth with no issues.
Not always the case....I agree completely with you when it comes to NEW engines...but if you take a high milage car that has always run normal oil and then switch to full synthetic your bound to run into problems...

Im having this issue with my truck right now...My dad and i have been running normal oil in it since 20,000 miles(1997).. I thought it would be a grand idea to put full synthetic in it at 277,000 miles (current) and im having some pretty big engine issues right now. :crying

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not always the case....I agree completely with you when it comes to NEW engines...but if you take a high milage car that has always run normal oil and then switch to full synthetic your bound to run into problems...

Im having this issue with my truck right now...My dad and i have been running normal oil in it since 20,000 miles(1997).. I thought it would be a grand idea to put full synthetic in it at 277,000 miles (current) and im having some pretty big engine issues right now. :crying
And what kind of "engine issues" has this synthetic oil caused? :wait

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
not quite sure yet i havent torn it down. It could just be time for a rebuild with as many miles that it has on it. Stong engine though 5.9L 360.
I can tell you one thing. No mechanical problem you have was caused by changing oils.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
...Im having this issue with my truck right now...My dad and i have been running normal oil in it since 20,000 miles(1997).. I thought it would be a grand idea to put full synthetic in it at 277,000 miles (current) and im having some pretty big engine issues right now. :crying
And this couldn't have just been coincidental? :scratch

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Im currently using my bike full time and the weather in texas is...well its always hot. I plan on starting on it this next month. I need to take is somewhere to do a compression test but its not the easiest to tow...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts