Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 gsxr 750.

i sent my oil cooler out since i thought that was where my oil leak was coming from... after Mylers check the cooler it turns out it has no leaks
. thats a good thing, but this leads me to many questions.

where is the oil coming from...?

After looking at the bike most of the oil looks like its coming from around the header. Once i took the header off i noticed there were NO gaskets. just some Gasket Maker geew...

if there is infact large amounts of oil coming from the exhaust would this lead me to the head gasket being blow? normally i would think drain the oil and look for coolant... but there is no coolant LOL.

So what are symptoms of a blown head gasket for the oil cooled?

I AM going to do a leak down / compression test once i get the tools needed for the job, but that could be another week or so. any adive / suggestions would be Awesome!

TIA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ALSO: when i did ride the bike there was a hesitation between 5500-6500 rpms. the carbs have not been synchronized since the install of the unknown stage 3 jet kit the previous owner installed. i figured that could be why the bike ran like complete garbage and until i synced the carbs i couldn't diagnose the bike correctly for any other problems.

The bike will rev fully in Neutral idles fine as well.

:HEADACHE:

<~~ hoping its not the head gasket

·
Registered
68 Posts
check your valve cover gasket. it happen to me and I also thought that it was my cooler, then I thought it was coming from the exhaust until I figure out the bolt thats on the valve cover the bolt in the middle was loose. hope you figure it out. also use locktight.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You really need to do the compression test if you suspect the head gasket. Never had a head gasket problem so I can't give you good info on symptoms to look for. I do know its not that big of a deal putting one on. Just take your time and have another pair of hands available to hold the cam chain and you should be OK when pulling/installing the head.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a pretty big deal to put one on. after reading the manual its a pretty intensive job. on my own would maybe take a weekend, but i have a few handy friends so maybe just a few hours with there help.

problem is a just bought the bike and this problem was not mentioned at all. if it is infact the head gasket i have to figure out how i can take this to court because im not getting taken for this much money. after 30miles of riding the amount of oil that was leaking from somewhere on the motor was massive. the header was covered and the oil cooler too. there is no way the previous owner didn't know about thise problem. thats why im so angy about it.

I'm just hoping after i do the leak down / compression test it turns out not to be the head gasket because i hate going to court... and i know i will have to if the previous owner doesn't co-operate with me.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Try retorquing the head bolts. Probably the cheapest and easiest thing to do. If you rode for 30 miles and didn't notice a loss in power under load, Then its possible the gasket is not your trouble.
Just thought about the S-tube gaskets. They may be dry-rotted and need replacing. These are the 2 tubes betwee the head and the base of cases.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that was another thing i was going to look at today. How are the S tubes removed? that is where ALOT of the oil was on the motor.... more on those than anything else.

I still have to wait for my oil cooler to come back and run the bike a little bit to see where exactly the oil is coming from.

I should have my carb kit in today as well and i'll be pulling the carbs off this weekend and sending those out to a good friend of mine to service and sync them up per factorypro specs. once the carbs are in check im sure i can make a better judgment on the leak and if its the gasket or not....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
you need to take the head off to remove those S pipes. And dont follow the manual about splitting the cases, the head can be removed with the engine in the frame. (at least on my 90 1100).

I did somewhat similar last weekend, removed/installed the head all in one day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well then either the way the head has to come off... i may as well just pickup a head gasket kit from suzuki and get to work...

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
As far as synching the carbs, they can only do a "bench-synch" with the carbs off. To do a proper synch, they need to be on the bike... for what ever that is worth to you...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trust me a bench sync is better then how they are currently setup from the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I think that there is a drain from the spark plug holes to the front of the head. If the valve cover has been off and the gasket around the plug hole fell out, massive amounts of oil would be draining out of the drain hole. Troy341

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im gunna have to call the previous owner next week and see if he has infact done anything internally to the bike. He made no mention of it, but there are noticible things on the hex bolts that make me wonder if the head has been tampered with.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Dude listen to 341 mine just did the same thing and it was the gasket around the plug hole, leaked like hell
and I thought it was the head gasket but when i pulled the valve cover the gasket was missing. I had an extra and put it in and voila no more leak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts