Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it going. Sorry i tried serching already and did not come up with anything, but i am not to savy on this forums unlike my other forums i am on so please excuse me. I recently bought a 600 and i was just wondering if it is safe for the transmission to shift without using the clutch. I want to get started on the right habits so before i go to far with that just checking if it is okay. Thank you

flame on....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fine when shifting into a higher gear ... but wouldn't do it shifting down.

Do bear in mind that it will almost certainly accelerate wear on the gear dogs and we all know that Suzi trannies are not the most robust!

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Fine when shifting into a higher gear ... but wouldn't do it shifting down.

Do bear in mind that it will almost certainly accelerate wear on the gear dogs and we all know that Suzi trannies are not the most robust!
if done properly, no extra wear at all.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
if done properly, no extra wear at all.
How is it done properly?
gotta blip the gas shut just a hair, unloads the tranny,, give the shifter a bit of pressure and itll pop right in. dont jam it under full throttle. it takes very little effort and the next gear falls right in. alot of people when learning just keep the foot under the shifter with slight pressure while accelereating. it wont move, the moment you blip, itll let loose and shift.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
If you reverse your shift pattern, it will be a helluva lot easier to shift w/out using the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thank you guys, i will stick to using the clutch for right now so i get into a good habit. What do you mean by blip the gas? When i was shifting without clucth i was releasing throttle slightly, and the clicking the gear in. Downshifting was easy but i do not think i will be doing that because of what is said above.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Been doing it for 27,000 miles on my GSXR750 streetbike and over 6k on my racebike, with no problems.

As a matter of fact, if you know how to do it, its better on your bike, less clutch wear being you are never slipping the clutch at all. Quick blip of the throttle, as it peaks and unloads the tranny, shift. Same thing the clutch does when you pull the lever, unloads the tranny......no diffy at all. Tranny must be unloaded so the gears can change.

Just practice a second or two, you will get it real quick and do it all the time. I also only upshift for the most part.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I wouldnt agree that its better than using the clutch. I would rather replace my clutch from wear rather than trans parts.

You will eventually wear out the blocker rings also.

Scott

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
throttle bliping is perfectly fine to do, when done safly. Its also safer than just slowly letting out the clutch. The time it takes to get used to it is nothing different than the time you had to take to learn to use your clutch normally.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
When the driver moves the shift lever, the shift mechanism inside the transmission moves a synchronizer splined collar towards the selected gear. The splined collar also moves a blocker ring into contact with a short cone that is part of the gear. As you push harder on the shifter, the tapered blocker ring presses harder against the cone on the gear, causing the gear to speed up or slow down. The blocker ring synchronizes the speed of the free turning gear with the speed of the sliding collar and shaft. With the speeds matching, the collar can then slide easily over the blocker ring and onto the smaller teeth on the gear. All this is done without any gear clash, because the speed of the collar and the gear are the same.

Problems occur when the synchronizer blocker rings or the cone on the side of the gear are worn. Usually this happens in second or third gear, because these gears see the most use. Symptoms include hard shifting or gears grinding. The same symptoms can sometimes occur if a driver tries to shift very slowly into a gear. The force of the synchronizer's blocker ring isn't great enough to slow the gear down, so the sliding collar can't mesh smoothly.

Blocker rings are often made out of brass alloy, and are considered a consumable part in the transmission. Drive with a light throttle and the blocker rings can last the life of the vehicle. Drive aggressively, shifting up and down often while under heavy load, and the blocker rings can wear or be damaged in a few thousand miles.

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts