Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
biggest problem I have is that the 92 linkage is about twice as wide as the 88 linkage where it mounts to the frame

I don't want to have to get somebody to weld new mounts onto the frame.

I know that you can use the 88 linkage and modify it to use dogbones etc, but I would really rather use the 92 piece.

any suggestions?

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the "loops" that are welded onto the frame are too close together, they would have to be about 1.5" wider for the 92 linkage to bolt up

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the stock linkage is just under 1" and the 92 is about 2 1/4" wide where it is supposed to mount up to the frame

I could cut the linkage down where it mounts up to make it fit

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mr gixxer would suggest you take some measurements before you start cutting. Some points to look at are where the stock arm and linkage at full drop or un modified position relative to the frame so that you can get the new linkage and swingarm to be at what is called the slope angle otherwise you are starting to modifiy the geometrey and this can adversley effect the handling, be carefull. If you need help phone me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stop right there!!!!!!!

You're trying to put a 92 swingarm on an 88 1100?

It wil not fit without an assload of modification. It's not worth the trouble.

You're right you DO NOT want to have someone weld new mounts on your frame. The frames are heat treated at the factory, aluminum is a very tricky substance. Things like subframes and mounting tabs are no big deal, but this particular component is highly stressed and welding in this area should not be taken lightly.

Why do you want to put this arm on?

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by doug:
Mr gixxer would suggest you take some measurements before you start cutting. Some points to look at are where the stock arm and linkage at full drop or un modified position relative to the frame so that you can get the new linkage and swingarm to be at what is called the slope angle otherwise you are starting to modifiy the geometrey and this can adversley effect the handling, be carefull. If you need help phone me.<hr></blockquote>

yeah, I wanna take a look at the relation of the swingarm mount to linkage mount on a 92 1100. I hope that they are very similar to the location on the 88. You used your early style linkage, but I noticed that the angles of the shock mount area are quite different between the years. I know the early years have a very high rising rate (15% I think) versus todays lower rates. This is basically used to allow you to run a softer rate spring for solo riding, but have the rate increase if you are doubling etc. I am not too worried, as I am going to hack the 92 linkage and leave the frame stock.

Trashboy don't worry, its my project bike!

Project bikes get to be fucked with till you find what works.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
try spacers on the 88 piece, send me the measurements, I have an 89 750 linkage, but it is "dogbone"style also, and I am sending out the adjusters tonight, I have been super busy with school, and I forgot on Monday-sorry
-Karl

·
Registered
434 Posts
ON my 86 750 I removed the shock and spring and then plotted the movement of the rocker versus the swingarm through its full travel then when I put the new swingarm on checked the movement of the rocker versus swingarm. What I found on mine and yours will probably be different, thats why I said to stop and take measurements, is the stock linkage on downward travel from the normal ride hight position to full extension, the shock linkage travelled half as far as it did on the compression side of static. Above static the linkage was 2to1 linear, after installing the new linkage it is now 2to1 throughout its travel which gives way better rebound control for the shock. Its important to take your time and get the static swingarm position back to the stock location as this affects rake. doug

·
Registered
434 Posts
Now you know why I used the stock 86 rocker and removed the eccentric bushing from the linkage and replaced it with a bushing with a whole in the middle and then just made some spacers and new dogbones look at the photos of mine. Also this is why I changed the shock end from a fork mount to the stock 86 eye end. doug

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by doug:
yes I do have the linkage and the dog bones if you want them you can have them.<hr></blockquote>

I'll take you up on that offer

ever come to Surrey?

I'd offer you a beer, but I quit drinking 5 years ago

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Doug

my quick measurements tell me that the two linkages share the same bolt spacings for shock/linkage/frame mount (given that the old center point was eccentric and slightly variable)

the only major difference is that the 92 shock mount is much lower than the 88 (you said the 92 shock will be longer anyways) due to the fact that the 88 linkage curves up quite a bit in comparison.

do you still have the newer linkage kicking about?

·
Registered
434 Posts
basicly I made a giant threaded insert from steel that has the thread of the new shock shaft in it and then machined the 86 aluminum eye end out and threaded it to match the thread cut on the outside of the threaded steel insert,think of it as a giant helicoil, caution if doing this you have to pay atention to where the insert locks down on the shaft because there is 4 holes of different dia on the inner steel shaft, that rotates inside the shock shaft which is hollow, this position is controlled by the jam nut and there is locktite on it from the factory, this is how the rebound adjuster works. Yes I can deliver to surrey. doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts