Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to change the swingarm pivots the other day on my 2020. For those who want to do it themselves, you have to remove the swingarm. I had a special tool made from a socket for the outer lock nut. You will also need what i think they call a "dexter tamper" socket for the pivot. There is also a "big" lock nut at the back of the pivot, on the inside of the frame. Luckily, these are not too tight but i will not say what tool i have used to loosen them in case we have some "ocd" guys on the forum.
Have done one track day since the changes and can positively say that it made quite a difference getting on the power out of two slow corners. Riding conditions were not great so i could not really compare lap times but will keep you posted if anyone is interested. Attached some pics for the diy's.
Flash photography Gadget Steering wheel Audio equipment Steering part
Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,564 Posts
I can only speak from my experiences with my K6. The right side lock nut needs a special tool. It's available on ebay for less than $15 instead of the silly price that Suzuki wants. The nut itself is zinc plated and prone to corrosion (just a cosmetic issue). Titan Classics reproduces it in titanium but it's pricey. The big nuts on the frame insides are supposed to be torqued so you're supposed to use sockets. It sounds like you just used a crescent wrench. My mounting screws were simple cross recess flat head screws. I don't know why a tamper resistant torx is needed there but the bits for it are readily available. Or were your screws supplied with the offset pivots?

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
the 03-04 had a setup where you could purchase an adjuster and install it, this sorta the same but they've already installed the adjuster?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can only speak from my experiences with my K6. The right side lock nut needs a special tool. It's available on ebay for less than $15 instead of the silly price that Suzuki wants. The nut itself is zinc plated and prone to corrosion (just a cosmetic issue). Titan Classics reproduces it in titanium but it's pricey. The big nuts on the frame insides are supposed to be torqued so you're supposed to use sockets. It sounds like you just used a crescent wrench. My mounting screws were simple cross recess flat head screws. I don't know why a tamper resistant torx is needed there but the bits for it are readily available. Or were your screws supplied with the offset pivots?
The "tamper torx " srews are standard. The standard pivot on the bike is made in such a way that you just "turn it around" and you have a "+2 degree" pivot.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,564 Posts
"The standard pivot on the bike is made in such a way that you just "turn it around" and you have a "+2 degree" pivot."
I assume that's +2 mm. I was wondering what the dimple next to the screw was about and it now sounds like you match it with a dimple on the other side. Nice touch. I can't tell but your pic suggests that you might not be able to get a socket onto the big nut without moving the engine, a big deal if so. I still question the need for a tamper resistant screw head.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
By turn it around, does this mean move the dimple to the top ?
Giving you 2mm higher (or lower) swingarm pivot ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts