Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my bike was always going right side on wheelie . So i decided to check if my front and rear tire was alignd . On swingarm marks are same both left and right side . Then i try to duble check my tires ad i used the method to alighn wheels buy rope. And in resoult there was much more space on right side then left . So

Rear wheel is always turned to right side when swingarm marks are correct but what is the reason of it ? And how can i fix that on swingarm marks bike was aligned also and dont use rops all time ?

Bike is L2 gsxr 1000 undroped with 3500 milage

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,653 Posts
Can you elaborate on "method to align wheels by rope" (with presumed corrections by me)? There are several ways of doing it, some more precise that others, and I'm not particularly comfortable with "rope". Don't you have something with a straight edge that you can place against the rear tire and extend forward to the front?

You're stating here and elsewhere that the bike has not been in a accident. I'm wondering about that as all these problems point to something going on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for helping me i will show you picture which metod i used i did the absolutly same and in then checked on front wheel left side (back edge and front edge) and same on right side to be sure that my front wheel is stright . After that i messured distance from wheel to rope both side and . Left side was 1cm more than right side . Is 1 cantimetre too much ? Do you have any idea what would be the problem . Mabe somthing wong in front side of motorcycle like stearings or somthing ?

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will show you method how i checkd. I started from rear wheel and messured on front wheel pf.course first i checkd and messured that front wheel was stright. After that i messured distance between front wheel edge and rope and in resoult left side ( when on motorcycle its right side) was 1 cm more thatn another side . Do you have any idea ? What could be the reason that in swingarm eveything matches on lines but in real its not aligned rear to front . Is it possible that reason is front side ? Or its rear side problrm only ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Thanks could you show me what is swingarm piot point and what is axle to do it right ?
Measure from the center of the swingarm pivot(where the arm attaches to the main frame) to the center of the axle on both sides.

·
7,653 Posts
Measure the distance between the shafts at the ends of the red lines (rear axle and swingarm pivot) on both sides as accurately as you can. The measurements should be identical. I use dial indicators and measure to .001" but that's overkill. .01" should be enough. But .1" is too coarse.

If they're not the same, adjust them till they are (maintaining correct chain tension).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Measure the distance between the shafts at the ends of the red lines (rear axle and swingarm pivot) on both sides as accurately as you can. The measurements should be identical. I use dial indicators and measure to .001" but that's overkill. .01" should be enough. But .1" is too coarse.

If they're not the same, adjust them till they are (maintaining correct chain tension).
Bill what tool do you use over that distance to measure to .001"? Not this dial type of dial indicator

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
7,653 Posts
^That's it, but not a Mitutoyo. Just some cheap 0-1" x .001" indicators.

I set the indicators so they read the same on one side. Then move one to the other side. All I care about is the difference, not the absolute dimension.

P.S. The chain tension adjusting screws on my K6 (and probably all the others) have a 1.25 mm pitch. So one flat on the hex head is .008". That gives you an idea of the accuracy that you're after.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for posting that picture. Clever setup. Now I Just need another indicator :thumbsup

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
7,653 Posts
^It's definitely easier with two indicators. But you can get by with one if you're willing to swap back and forth. I vaguely recall my indicators costing less than $15 each on ebay.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very helpful information just i have one question when the aligment is right on swingarm how is it possible that rear wheel is not straight ? What is the reasons of it ? That swingarm aligment is lie?

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,615 Posts
The alignment marks on the end of the swing arm, as you have discovered, are not accurate. This is pretty common with a lot of bikes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts