Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1988 GSXR 750 frame
, unfortunately it has no swing-arm or front forks. What years will be compatible with this frame for forks and swing arm? Also I plan on making this bad-boy a 7-11 - what problems am I going to run into w/ the 1100 motor in the 750 chasis? Any help greatly appreciated as this is my first project bike.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: http://www.gixxer.com/ubb/avatars/marvel1.gif ]

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
okay, 88-92 swingarms absolutely no trouble, 93-85 some bushings might need to be made and you will have to play with the linkages, the inverted forks from 92-95 are a no problem fit, SRAD forks can be used if the steering haed is altered, as far as the engine goes, for that frame it was the year of the 1085cc? oil cooler, good motor, the 1127cc oiler 91-92 real good motor 89-90 were 1127's too, different head, and valve shim system(I think), the motors should slap in with little trouble.
good luck
Karl
ps. the 1127 motors are getting pricey and hard to come buy in stock format.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
What KJ1 said is correct. All the USD front ends prior to 96 just pop right in. As for wheels if you go with 96 or newer you'll need to work out a new speedometer as there is no cable drive on them. It runs off the motor on 96 on. The rear ends mostly bolt in fine, mine did but its a 86 frame. I'm still working on getting a motor though. I might opt for a newer Bandit 1200 mill, which would allow for a '96 front wheel. I'm lucky at the moment in that I've got a set of '94 and a set of '96 wheels. The up-side to running older 17" wheels is the axles are the same. Post '96 wheels have much larger axles, unless you switch the bearing sizes

Good luck...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The triple tree is going to depend on the forks that you use...
Karl

·
Registered
139 Posts
All these guy are correct in what they are telling you - the head bearings on front ends are the same from 85-95, so ANY triples within those years drop right in. I will warn you though, that the inverteds from 93-95 come with a lower triple that had OUTSIDE steering stops, whereas the earlier years have INSIDE steering stops - nothing a hacksaw and file won't solve for you, but it is nice to know in advance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I put a 97 front end on my 86 had to make a new stem shaft to solve the bearing problem as to wheels and speedo a kawasaki wheel and speedo drive can be massaged a bit to fit and kawasaki brake discs are 320 with a dished basket gives awsome braking with the 6 pots versus the earlier front end with the 310 discs and I welded a tab on for the steering stop problem. By the way the ratio on the kawa speedo box is the same as the suzuki used a kawa speedo cable and changed one end for the suzuki speedo used pliers straighten the flare slide the threaded part off and on with the new bit and re flare with the pliers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Doug, you mean that the Kawi 320 discs will bolt right on the GSXR wheel? I have the 6 pots Tokico's now, and they are great - not as great as aftermarket calipers, but MUCH easier on the budget...

mark

·
Registered
434 Posts
the bolt pattern for the kawasaki is diff from the suzuki thats why I used the kawasaki wheel the axles are the same 24 or 25mm hollow they interchange on the forks. I spent some time ensuring the calipers lined up exactly on the centerline of the disc think I machined a bit from the mounting ears of the fork tubes to move the calipers over. And took a little off the speedo box and the bottom of the fork tube to center the wheel between the forks wasnt too bad did all of the above because the price for the forks with the 6 pots was really good and I wanted the 320 brakes also the kawasaki discs are 1/2 mm thicker than the suzuki they weight a little more but have less fade the above setup is awsome for braking especially because I used braided stainless lines can get a further increase in braking with ebc hh pads have the oem suzuki in there at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts