Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone had any successful swing arm upgrades for an 1987 GSXR 750? The current tire is extremely too skinny. It's a 140 and I'm praying to get to at least a 180. Minor research I found that a 07 / 06 would be the easiest swap or upgrade. Any thoughts or concerns I should have? I'd greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, if I wanted to be like every one else maybe. I love my 87'. Nothing quite like her. I appreciate your suggestion. I don't ride to keep up. I ride for a vacation from all the BS in life. I will have a larger tire than the 140. Help or no help

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,608 Posts
Anything is possible, but is this realistic?

A 180 or wider rear tire will require a minimum 6" rim.
Measure your existing set up and see if this is really feasible...your rear sprocket still needs to be in line with the counter sprocket, regardless of the swing arm or late model rim.
A drag bike would get around this with an offset counter sprocket and an outboard bearing to support it.

You can squeeze a marginally wider tire than a 140 on your existing rim, but it will change the tire's profile and upset the handling.

Back in the day, racers would have had their rims widened by companies like Kosman.

Your '87 has 18" rims and tire choices are limited today.
Several members here have updated their Slabby's to 2nd gen 17" wheels, which would let you run a wider tire and a greater selection of rubber, but nothing near current liter bike sizes. I think that's likely your best bet.
Anything more, just sounds like penis envy...

·
3,474 Posts
I can't speak directly about the 750 but can tell you a 6" rim and 180 tire on the 1100 is possible but it's really tight for the chain clearence between the tire and also the frame after shimming out the front sprocket, even with a 520 chain.

I think the best way for you to go is to swap to rims from a 2nd gen with 17x5.5 rear and which there is loads of info and knowledge here to help get that done.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
does this count as "fake news?"

if not; if you want a 180 rear tire, there is NO need for a swingarm swap. the tire mounts on the rear wheel, so you must change the rear wheel to properly mount a 180 tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is some fitting, but as stated above you can fit some 90's GSXR three spokes and the 180 rear tire. Look to do the front as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5.5" rim from the 90-92 750 or 1100 models bolts straight in, but you need the spacers and caliper hanger from the same bike to suit the bigger discs. Use the complete front end from the same bikes to get a matching 17" front wheel.

All straight forward nuts and bolts stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
I wouldn't go any wider than a 170 width tire, on an appropriate sized wheel.

There isn't a swingarm out there that's a bolt-on fitment without screwing up the shock linkage and the stock swingarm will accept a much larger tire than you can fit between the chain and the brake torque rod, so a swingarm swap is pointless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
javadog
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing